1 of 2
6 ” Yellow Butter Cake
Posted: 27 September 2010 02:05 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  164
Joined  2009-04-24

Hey, guys.

This is puzzling me.  I made the 6” Yellow Butter Cake today and the cake overflowed then dipped in the middle.  I used two 6x2 Wilton pans wrapped in cake strip. 

I calculated ingredients by multiplying the Yellow Base Cake by 2 (Rose Factor is 2).  The baking powder ended up being 3 teaspoons.  Everything except for vanilla, baking powder, and salt were weighed.  Oven was at 350F.  Each pan had 12.5 oz of batter.

Really puzzling because it overflowed a lot.  Any idea what I did wrong?  Is there too much baking powder?  Is 12.5oz of batter too much?  These are all measurements from the book.

I would like to hear from people who have baked the 6x2 inch layers and get your perspective.  Thanks!

Jess

Posted: 27 September 2010 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3148
Joined  2010-04-25

I don’t have my book here, so I can’t scope the figures, but a single 9x2 will fill two 6x2, and will need a teeny bit more leavening because of the smaller diameter (or you can let it sit on the counter about 20 minutes before baking).  If the original recipe was a 9x1-1/2, multiply ingredients by 1.33 and then pour into two 6x2 pans.

I hope that’s helpful!!!

Posted: 27 September 2010 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-24

Thanks, Anne.  However, my question is pertaining to the actual recipes in the back part of the book for wedding cakes.  I am using the chart with the Rose factor and using the Yellow Base Cake as my starting point.  My question is whether or not someone has used the calculations using Rose’s table and base recipes for different cake sizes.  Was there any errata for the book regarding this section?  I couldn’t find it in the site.  I triple checked all my calculations last night and I keep coming back to the same ingredient amounts that I used.  My guess is too much baking powder.  I used 3 teaspoons.  But since a 6x2 is a level 1 on the chart (for 2 layers) with a Rose Factor of 2, multiplying the baking powder amount for level 1, which is 1 1/2 teaspoons, will give me 3 teaspoons.  That is exactly what I used.

Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone has had success making the 6x2 cakes from this section of the book.  Not exactly sure what is causing my problems.

I also know that I can use 2/3x for one 9x2 layer and 1 1/3x for 2 9x2 layers.  I have tried that before and had some issues.  But I am planning on using the chart in the back for making multiple tier cakes.  I just want to make sure that there are no mistakes on the numbers posted on the chart (the only one I found was for the sheet cake but that is already corrected on my copy of the book) before I start relying on it.

Jess

Posted: 27 September 2010 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2010-09-07

I make alot of 6 inch cakes and no matter what recipie I use it is 2 cups of batter for a 6 inch 2 inch pan.Never fails me

Posted: 28 September 2010 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Jess, I’ve never made the 6” from the back of the book, but I’ve also never heard of any problems with them (the chart p.490 has a typo for the level six cakes, but I don’t think there are any for the level one).

So, just to confirm, you made one batch of batter with 200g each of flour and sugar and three teaspoons baking powder, then divided it into two 6x2 layers, is that right? 
-Your description does sound like it was over leavened or overfilled, were the pans half-2/3 full? 
-You didn’t accidentally sub baking soda for powder, did you?  Did they taste OK? 
-The only other thing I can think of is to check the capcity of your pans by pouring in water, do they each hold 3.75 cups?

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 28 September 2010 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-24

Julie,

Thanks for your response.

I don’t have my notes in front of me but I believe I used 7oz of cake flour and sugar which corresponds to the 200g you mentioned.  I poured 12.5oz of batter in each pan (I had small leftover) as suggested by the chart.  And you are correct, I used 3 teaspoons of baking powder.

I can’t remember exactly how full it was.  I thought it was about half full but I’m sure it wasn’t any more than 2/3 full.  I weighed it to be more accurate based on the chart’s recommendation.

I know for sure I used baking powder.  I just bought a new one and I know I just opened the seal.  (I used Argo double acting).

I have measured the diameter and height of the pan that is why I know it is 6x2.  I haven’t checked the volume using water.  I can give that a try.

It seems to me like there was too much leavening.  The batter overflowed quite a bit around 20 minutes into the baking.  I am really quite surprised because I know Rose’s measurements have been tested that is why I thought that maybe there is an errata.

I was hoping to get this right because I am planning on using Rose’s conversion chart more often.  I have baked cakes using 8”, 9”, and 12x18 from this chart and all of them worked fine.  I’m just having a problem with the 6”.  If you can think of anything else let me know.

I may do another test again sometime next week.  I am planning on doing more tiered cakes so I am working on getting the 6” cakes right.  I like Rose’s recipes because they taste really good and it reaches the 2” height that I want.

By the way, I did taste the crumbs that overflowed around the pan and they tasted pretty good, as I expected.

Thanks for your help!

Jess

Posted: 28 September 2010 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Jess, it sounds like you did everything exactly right, so I admit I’m stumped.  I’m overbooked for the rest of this week- my mother is visiting and she’s not a baker- but maybe next week, when you’re trying it again, I could also try one and see how it goes.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Signature 

Posted: 28 September 2010 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2010-01-24

Category: Book Errata/Corrections

I don’t know if this helps or not but I found this on the site:

Changes for The Cake Bible
Apr 11, 2010 | From the kitchen of Rose in Book Errata/Corrections

When the Cake Bible was published over 21 years ago, 2-inch high cake pans were almost impossible to find so several of the layer cakes were created for the then commonly available 1-1/2 inch high pans.

Now that the 1-1/2 inch high pans are harder to find than 2-inch high pans, in the newer printings of The Cake Bible, when using these 2 inch high pans I recommended either to do 2/3 the recipe for 1 layer or 1-1/3 times the recipe for 2 layers.

As higher pans require proportionately less leavening (leavening weakens structure) it is also advisable to decrease the baking powder by 1/8 teaspoon for 1 layer and 1/4 teaspoon for 2 layers.

Posted: 28 September 2010 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-24

Julie,

Thanks.  I will try again next week to see how it turns out.  If you do try, please let me know how it works out for you.

Heidi,

Thanks for the errata info.  That is the same errata info that I found when I did a search.

Jess

Posted: 28 September 2010 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Just in case it might help others reading this thread, all the recipes and charts in the wedding cake section (Rose Factor section) use 2” high pans.  smile

Signature 

Posted: 08 October 2010 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Jess, I wasn’t able to bake this this week, and I know I won’t get to it next week, so I’ve emailed Hector and Woody to see if either of them has ever baked the 6” yellow from the Rose Factor charts.  Hopefully we’ll hear from one of them.

Signature 

Posted: 08 October 2010 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

hi Jess, try using rumford instead of argo baking powder.  i’ve recently tested argo, and it is good, but i have the impression that it bubbles up more than rumford!  cakes turn more airy, tender, and higher!

9” pan fills MORE than 2x6” pans.  also, 9” pan fills LESS than 2x7” pans.  i am pretty sure if you use 2x6” pans, it will overflow.  in fact, Matthew prefers 2x7” pans.

i KNOW there aren’t any erratas on Cake Bible, and LOTS of people have done the 6” from the charts, including myself.  i don’t remember having any problems.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 08 October 2010 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-24

Julie,

Thanks for asking Hector and Woody.  I’ve been pretty busy this week too because I had to make lemon squares and cupcakes to bring to work for a farewell party.

Hector,

Interesting suggestion.  I was thinking about that too because I know I followed the numbers on the chart and I just bought the baking powder.  I will get some Rumford to see if it will work.  I will weigh the batter 12.5 oz per pan as indicated in the chart so it matches the test I did with Argo.  I am planning on baking this same recipe on 6” based on Rose’s chart tomorrow so I will let you know how it goes.

I really appreciate the help from both of you!  Hopefully we can figure this one out.  If it is the Argo baking powder that is the issue, we might want to mention to Woody.  I wonder how it will work with Clabber Girl?  Maybe I’ll test that sometime next week too.

Thanks again!

Jess

Posted: 08 October 2010 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3148
Joined  2010-04-25

9? pan fills MORE than 2x6? pans.

You are so right, and I apologize for my mis-statement.  I recalculated this this week for something else and it fills 2.5 6x2 pans.  I am a bit brain dead these days….apologies!!!

Posted: 10 October 2010 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

I attended one of Rose’s book promotion events in upstate NY this weekend, and she baked two cakes with Argo baking powder, the whipped cream cake and the golden lemon almond.  I told her about this thread and she speculated that the cakes may have come out a little more puffed in the middle (lacking an apron) with the Argo.  However, they were not dramatically overleavened (did not overflow/ fall).

Jess, if you do try again, please report back!

Signature 

Posted: 10 October 2010 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-24

Julie,

FYI, I have used Argo baking powder with the bigger cakes and I didn’t have any problems.

Yesterday, I tried the 6-inch White Butter Cake.  I couldn’t find Rumford but I found Clabber Girl.  I used that for the White Cake and it came out perfectly, just under 2 inches in height and flat.  A couple of things I changed:

- used egg whites not egg yolks (I used the 2 times the base for White Butter cake)
- weighed the baking powder to .52 oz (the last time I measured by volume, 3 teaspoons)
- used Clabber Girl instead of Argo
- I didn’t use a baking strip (I used one the last time).

The cake came out perfectly and flat in 28 minutes.

I think I will try two things in the next couple of weeks: 1) bake a 6-inch yellow cake with Clabber girl - no baking strip, 2) bake a 6-inch yellow cake with Argo - no baking strip.  I’ll way the baking powder both times.  I have few 6-inch cake orders next month so I want to get it right with the yellow cake.  Now that I was able to make the 6-inch white perfectly, I’m hoping a few tweaks may make it work.

What I’m suspecting is that the 3 teaspoons I used may have been too packed and heavier than the .52oz I needed.  I am also guessing that taking out the baking strip may have helped because I had stronger support on the sides.

Thanks for checking with Rose and I’ll let you know how it goes.

Jess

1 of 2