How many days, how many pies?
Posted: 28 September 2010 02:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2010-09-09

I am becoming a pie/baking addict!
The last Shaker lemon pie dissolved in thin air (well, it seemed to!!), probably just as well for the waistline!
Have since followed The apple pie instructions and concentrated the apple juice with great success. Aussies were weaned onto Granny Smiths (they actually come from here, Aus that is)
Having been to the US numerous times and having fallen in love with Hershey’s peanut butter cups, I had to make the Chocolate Peanut Butter mousse tart….thought I had died and gone to heaven.
I am planning on doing a Julie/Julia thing next year, and doing an Anne/Rose homage, and making everything in the book. Will have to source some ingredients and will do at least one item a week…just can’t manage one baking event a day on the grounds of not having all the taste team home now, they are off studying again (Uni, one in Beijing, the other in Sydney)
That’s the plan for now at least.

Wow, I am enjoying the Bible according to Rose!!

Posted: 28 September 2010 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Good luck on your baking adventure.  I hope you keep us updated!

Posted: 28 September 2010 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

Sounds just fabulous!  I love the PPB, too, can’t wait to follow your progress smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 28 September 2010 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2010-09-09

I am already starting the planning for this quest, and am making it a New Year’s resolution that I can actually keep!
Will add some extra exercise to the resolution
Because our seasons are opposite those of the Nortern Hemispere, it may seem that I am not cooking seasonally.
I will get stuck into serious planning next week: I actually have a few work commitments…luckily, predominantly working from home
makes this more achievable.
Will also factor in times when I am away, so that I bake more before and after.
I actually must count the number of pies so that I can see how it fits into a regular schedule…just thinking out loud.
Some fresh fruit is just not available here (Concord grape) or is so expensive (redcurrants) that I may have to think laterally.
Q: can dried fruit substitute and be re-constituted? I have read pretty widely in the book, but my mind is all over the place and I am sure that there is someone
out there in real baking territory who has been there before me and can offer prudent advice.
If anyone has any bright ideas or suggestions for me, please let me know.
Is it grin  or confused