1 of 2
Moist Chocolate genoise with raspberry ganache
Posted: 30 September 2010 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I recently made the moist chocolate genoise with raspberry ganache (Is that the correct name of the cake?  don’t have my book handy).  I brought this cake to the clinic to celebrate our hygienist’s 60th birthday!  We are pretty much like a family…everyone has worked there for many years (both the hygienist and I are there 21 years…one of the receptionists is there 16 years…another is there 31 years…we are all in there for the long haul) and we are very much like a family.  Kathy insisted that she needed something chocolaty for her 60th birthday so it gave me an opportunity to try this recipe.  This cake takes some time…so be prepared.  Straining the raspberries through my find mesh strainer was an event.  There are two genoise layers to trim, cut and syrup…it was several hours of late night baking…and chocolate in every corner of the apartment, under my finger nails, in my eyebrows…the clean up was rediculous. But in the end I had an amazingly intense choclate cake that was still light.  It packs a powerful choclate punch without being terribly sweet.  There is a haunting lilt of raspberry in the backgroud…and crowd LOVED it. I did take a picture of a slice…but some how deleted it…sorry.  I’m proud to say that the inside of this cake looked EXACTLY like the picture in the book.  Don’t you just LOVE when that happens?  Where are the piped roses?  Where is the “Happy Birthday Kathy”? I was just exhausted.  The idea of any more work at this point was completely out of the question.  I couldn’t even think about washing one more piping tip and I don’t think I had the strength to lift a flower nail.

Image Attachments
ganache small.bmp

Posted: 30 September 2010 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Ooooh, Billl…...that looks so beautiful, silky and decadent!!!!!  Your description of your post-baking apartment was so vivid and sounds like it should be drawn in an “Eloise” book!!!!!  Congratulations on such a convivial workplace…......and on a perfect interior!!!  And exterior, I might add!

Posted: 30 September 2010 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2010-09-02

Bill,  Really beautiful !  I think any more decoration would have distracted from its simple elegance.  I’m with you on the raspberry straining.  For years I lived in Montana and had a raspberry patch.  I made Rose’s Raspberry Puree using 1 gallon bags of frozen berries.  It took Forever to strain using a fine mesh strainer (which you have to use to get that velvety texture) at least 45 minutes per batch.  But sooo worth it.  Rose suggests using a power strainer for the Cuisinart but I’ve never been able to find one.
  What a lucky work family you have!

Posted: 30 September 2010 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Thanks for the compliments…and I agree…the raspberry puree is delicious.  I find that the only way to get a silky texture with anything that is pureed is to use a very fine strainer. I make a lot of soups…and the fine strainer is my #1 tool in the process.

Posted: 30 September 2010 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

Ooooo, yipee, Bill posted another gorgeous cake!  Your story, replete with chocolated eyebrows, is so funny- LOL!  And so nice to think of you all working together for so long.

No need to apologize about the roses, the simple, elegant decoration allows the lusciousness of the chocolate to take center stage.  So glad to hear a description of the flavor of this ganache, I’ve always wondered what the balance of chocolate to raspberry was.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 30 September 2010 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

Bill that cake is beautiful.

Posted: 30 September 2010 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Thanks.  One of these days I will get a good camera and stop taking pictures with the free cell phone that came with my calling plan.  LOL

Posted: 30 September 2010 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Don’t worry about the picture.  I can see how wonderful your cake looks!  So so sinful.  Like you, I have worked with the same wonderful people for quite a while.  I have the least seniority and I have been working in the Laboratory for 13 years.  Sometimes I think I spend more time with my co-workers at work than I do at home with my own family.

Posted: 30 September 2010 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

Bill, your cake looks like a masterpiece!

Posted: 30 September 2010 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Thanks…interestingly (or not…LOL)  I only work at this clinic one day a month.  The rest of my time is split between my own office and a hospital…but these people really feel like family!

Posted: 30 September 2010 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

Having that kind of relationship must make going to work more pleasant.

Posted: 30 September 2010 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

DEFINITELY

Posted: 30 September 2010 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Beautiful cake Bill. I was wondering where you been smile. Those shells are so beautifully piped. And I agree with Julie that no need for flowers or wording, the cake is elegant this way!

Your story of the post-baking apartment is funny. When I made the spun sugar for Saint Honore Trifle I still find caramel bits in the corners of the kitchen days after!

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 30 September 2010 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2582
Joined  2007-11-15

Who needs roses and writing when a cake is that beautiful?  You did a really great job Bill, as usual smile.

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 30 September 2010 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

thanks all. I haven’t been posting much.  I don’t really want to post a ton of pictures of the same cakes over and over again…and I’ really haven’t made anything new for a while…and life has been crazy busy…so haven’t really been commenting.  Happy to be back and posting a new cake!

Posted: 20 November 2010 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  161
Joined  2007-11-21
Anne in NC - 30 September 2010 12:52 PM

Ooooh, Billl…...that looks so beautiful, silky and decadent!!!!!  Your description of your post-baking apartment was so vivid and sounds like it should be drawn in an “Eloise” book!!!!!  Congratulations on such a convivial workplace…......and on a perfect interior!!!  And exterior, I might add!

So beautiful, Bill, as all of your things are!

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com

1 of 2