A NEWBIE’S FIRST YELLOW DOWNY BUTTERCAKE
Posted: 01 October 2010 12:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-09-14

Hi everyone, I am a newbie and have just purchased TCB.  I am so proud of myself as I have just successfully baked Rose’s Yellow Downy Butter-cake!
I thought I would show off to everyone, so I have attached a photo (that is if I have done that successfully). LOL Please let me know if the photo does not show as I may have done something wrong.
I made them in the 12 inch tins, although I only had tins with 1 1/2 sides. I compensated by making extra high homemade baking strips (wrapped in foil). I also lined the inside of my tins with extra high baking paper.
Tomorrow afternoon I will take the cakes out of the freezer to defrost and then I will buttercream, fondant and decorate in time for my granddaughter’s 4th birthday party on Sunday.
Thank you to all your lovely people that helped me, I really do appreciate it.

Posted: 01 October 2010 03:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Hi Elegance, Congratulations!!  Let us know how it you like it when it’s served! I would love to see the picture—unfortunately, it just shows up as a little box with an x on it.  Might be just my computer, though…

Posted: 01 October 2010 03:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-09-14

Hi Loopy, I think maybe it is too big a picture to load.
If you check my flickr page you can see it there, I hope that works at least LOL. 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jordandiane/5035691684/

Posted: 01 October 2010 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

Diane, congratultions, those look great!  I see what you mean about the tops being a little brown, especially in comparison to the sides, which were protected by the cake strips.  When you cut it open you’ll know for sure whether it was overbaked or not.

I must say that your decorating is just beautiful, wowie wow wow! smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert

Posted: 01 October 2010 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-09-14

Thank you Julie for your kind words.
I just can’t wait to cut the cake on Sunday, I am preying it will be OK.
I really don’t think it will be dry, it sure did not look like it.  When baking them again, maybe I should move the pan down a shelf in the oven, I sat it on the middle rack for these ones. 
Would it be less likely to brown so much on top by cooking on a lower oven shelf?  Maybe I run the risk of the ‘bottom’ of the cake getting a bit ‘over done’ if I do that???
Thank you again Julie for your help.

Posted: 01 October 2010 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

Re: the shelf- the cake itself should be centered in the oven, which normally means the shelf is at about the lower third.  Do report back once you’ve tasted it!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert

Posted: 01 October 2010 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Congratulations!!!  There is nothing quite as lovely as Downy Yellow Butter Cakes cooling on their racks!!!  They are so golden and beautiful! 

Now, please clarify:  You are a newbie but you decorated those amazing cakes???  Did you perhaps decorate before, but not bake, or are you simply a newbie to Rose’s recipes?  Regardless, those are fabulous cakes!!!!

Posted: 01 October 2010 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

I’m not able to view your picture either.

Congratulations on your achievement.

Posted: 02 October 2010 02:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

I was able to look at your flickr pictures…such beautiful and elegant cakes!