2 of 2
Can I freeze a fondant-covered cake?
Posted: 21 March 2008 01:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  596
Joined  2007-11-27

For what it is worth, Kerry Vincent freezes fondant covered cakes.  I remember her discussion of this on another food-related chat site.  She wraps the covered cake, places it in a box, wraps the box several times and then into the freezer. 

I’ve never tried this so I cannot vouch for how it works.  A lot will depend on the environment -  how humid your refrigerator is, how close to temp your freezer stays…. and whether you are using home made fondant or a commercially prepared one.

The longest I’ve kept a fondant covered cake in the cooler is two days.  My walk in is humid, and unless the cake is in a heavy duty bag (sheet pan size bags are available to the trade and probably from online paper sources I would guess), the cake will sweat before the day is out.  The bag protects that from happening on the cake.

Your mileage will vary.  I would definitely suggest testing it out with a small 6” cake to see what happens.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 21 March 2008 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Thanks Hector. That makes sense.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

2 of 2