Kitchenaid Grinder
Posted: 02 October 2010 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2010-03-20

Hi everyone, I know this is not exactly about baking, but many folk here know the Kitchenaid mixers well. I have a heavy duty one, and I’m thinking of buying the grinder attachments (meat and veg), but I worry that they are more gimmick than tool. Anyone here make their own sausages and have an opinion about moderate sized/priced mincers?

Posted: 02 October 2010 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

Hi Helen,
I have owned the grinding attachment for many years and it is definitely not a gimmick. I use it about once a month. As a special treat I like to grind my own hamburger. Meat has to be sliced to fit but once sliced the attachment makes quick work of grinding.
Over the years I have bought all of the attachments for the Kitchenaid. I would not rate any of them at the gimmick level. I use the grinder most frequently. Then the shredder and the pulp separator. I confess I have never used the pasta set. Someday. smile

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 02 October 2010 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2010-03-20

Thanks Gene, that’s very helpful. I want to avoid the temptation of deciding that the kitchenaid one is a ‘gimmick’ and talking myself into an enormous sausage maker which I definitely do not need:)

Posted: 28 December 2010 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2010-12-28

I have the KitchenAid grinder and like it.  I have not made sausage, but I (like Gene) occasionally grind my own ground beef.  (Try it sometime- it’s really good).

Posted: 10 January 2011 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-04-14

I did some research and concluded that the current model of the Kitchenaid meat grinders wasn’t sturdy or versatile enough to be a good investment for me. The older all-metal models would be, but it’s very hard to find a range of grinding plates for them now.

There is an all-metal attachment made by Jupiter/Chef’s Choice that is adapted for the Kitchenaid (they also make them for other mixers.) I found the best price and a better range of grinding plates than you can now get from Kitchenaid at http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/

It’s just arrived and I haven’t used it yet, but it promises good things.

Good luck!

Posted: 10 January 2011 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2010-12-28

Be careful that you don’t overstress you KitchenAid motor with a grinder.  (Anecdotally, of course) I have read elsewhere that the motor cannot withstand longterm the grinding of grains into flour.

If you just want to make ground beef or sausage, you may be fine.

Posted: 10 January 2011 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-11-19

My husband found the metal meat grinder on EBay and bought it for me as a surprise. He also got what he thought was a coffee grinder, but is a grain mill (also metal). The meat grinder works really well and I like it a lot. I think the older metal attachments are available; I don’t know how much Tom paid for the ones he got me, but it couldn’t have been outrageously expensive, or he wouldn’t have bought them. Mine came with 3 grinding plates, all nice and sharp. I bet you can find one too.