Question about Pastry flour
Posted: 02 October 2010 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Ok, now that it is fall I am yearning to make some pies with Rose’s cream cheese flaky pie dough.  I noticed that it calls for pastry flour I can only find cake and pastry flour here ( Robin Hood Brand )  I also noticed she has a formula for making your own pastry flour ( a mix of cake and AP flour )  I’m not sure how to accomplish this with cake and pastry flour.  Or if I can just use the cake and pastry flour as status quo.

I am dreaming of pumpkin,  apple and lemon meringue pie.  grin

Posted: 02 October 2010 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

I make pies using Rose’es cream cheese recipe and only use all purpose flour. It makes a great crust. I’m sure pastry flour would be better, but I can’t buy it where I live (or cake flour).

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 02 October 2010 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks Kathleen.

Posted: 03 October 2010 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

I have made the cream cheese crust using 100% bleached all-purpose flour (gold medal) and it was fine, but needs less kneading/handling and a little more liquid.  It doesn’t shrink a lot but it does shrink a little, and is slightly more difficult to roll.  But in general, it works out well, these are all small differences.

You can use Wondra flour, if available, or you can make your own pastry flour (PPB p.7) by using 2/3 bleached AP and 1/3 cake flour, by weight.

Be sure to try the heavy cream update from the blog.

Looking forward to seeing what you bake!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 04 October 2010 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks Julie.  I am going to try and make my own pastry flour and see how it turns out.  I haven’t seen the heavy cream update from the blog yet.  I will have to take a look at it.  I haven’t decided what pie to bake yet, but I am kind of leaning towards the pumpkin, apple or lemon meringue pie.  Our thanksgiving here in Canada is this weekend coming up so I am bringing dessert.  I also have to make a birthday cake for my husband since we will be celebrating his birthday at the same time.  ( my father-in-law requested that I make the all occasion downey yellow butter cake with vanilla bavarian cream filling and silk meringue buttercream - even though it is for my husband’s birthday LOL )  I’m sure my husband won’t mind.  I seem to remember him licking all of my spatulas the last time I made the silk meringue buttercream.

I’m a little nervous about making a pie though.  It has been years since I’ve made one.  And the last one I did make was an apple pie, which I had to drain before we could eat it.  I think it had something to do with the apples I used.  Rose gives very detailed instructions, so hopefully everything will go ok.

Posted: 05 October 2010 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Here’s Rose’s cream cheese crust with the heavy cream update:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2005/10/roses_favorite_flaky_tender_pi.html#comments

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe