Best method for freezing apple pies???
Posted: 02 October 2010 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2009-09-25

Apples are in season right now in my area, so I would like to make several All American Apple pies.  My question is, is it better to bake them all and freeze them after, or is it best to freeze them uncooked?  What method is better and how do you go about baking them from frozen?  Thanks for any help you can offer, I really want to get the best results.

Posted: 02 October 2010 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

This is just my personal opinion, it would be interesting to see what others think, but I prefer to freeze pastry before baking.  When I make an apple pie I prepare it ready for the oven but put it into the freezer, well wrapped.  On taking it from the freezer I place it into the hot oven and cook it slightly longer than if it hadn’t been frozen.  I’ve never been disappointed with the result. grin

Posted: 03 October 2010 03:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Agree with jeannette, freezing before baking would be best…if baked beforehand, the quality of the pastry would likely suffer.  Whenever you buy frozen apple pies, they are always ready to be baked.  What a good idea…how wonderful to be able to pull out a homemade apple pie ready for the oven at any time!!

Posted: 03 October 2010 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-09-25

Thanks Jeannette and Loopy,

I made my pastry yesterday and today I am going to prep my apples and make my pies.  I am going to follow your advice and freeze them before baking, I can’t wait to bake a frozen one to see how it turns out.  My only problem now is I only have one pyrex pie plate to assemble and freeze the pies in.  Once one is frozen I can take it out and wrap it well.  I wonder if I assemble and freeze in those inexpensive aluminium pie plates but then put the frozen pie in my pyrex to bake.  Will it take the shape of the pyrex plate while baking or will that just make a mess of my pie?  Pie plates have all different depths and slants to the sides so I am not sure that will work?  I hope my question make sense.  Thanks for your help :o)

Posted: 03 October 2010 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

L4C,  I always use foil pie plates when making pies/tarts for the freezer, much easier to use and no pyrex plates out of circulation!  When I want to bake them I just place them on a baking sheet but leave the pie on the foil plate.  You can always put the baked pie on a plate to serve still with its foil plate for support.

Posted: 03 October 2010 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-09-25

Thanks Jeannette,

I thought the crust would burn in an aluminium plate, I am happy to know that it will work.  Off to make pies, have a great day!