Hot Cross Buns / Emulsions
Posted: 19 March 2008 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

Hot Cross Buns

I made these today, and YUM!!!  I wish I had written down the source for this recipe, but I did not.  It may be a composite, I really can’t recall.  I’m sure I omitted the candied fruit, ugh, I hate that stuff, and substituted all raisins.

Anyway, the real news is the emulsions - I used orange and lemon emulsions from LorAnn instead of zest. I swear, I will NEVER zest another lemon or orange again!  Just outstanding flavor, and no fussing with zesting fruit. After researching, the rule of thumb seems to be that the emulsion amount would be one half the amount of zest called for; you can adjust to taste once you try a recipe using the emulsions.

I also made 50 St. Joseph Day ‘puffs’ for a church, and used the lemon and orange emulsions in that recipe as well. Just delicious. Emulsions seem to be that ‘secret bakery flavor’ ingredient.

You can order the emulsions from LorAnn at http://www.lorannoils.com/homepage_consumers.htm
Just type emulsion in the search box. I had my local candy/cake decorating shop order them for me. The 4 ounce bottle goes a long way. I am thinking of ordering the other flavors as well.

HOT CROSS BUNS      
Yield: 16 buns;  approximately 2 3/4 ounces of dough each

7 ounces milk (or 7/8 oz. dry + 7 oz. water)         
2 eggs                      
1/3 cup sugar (2.25 ounces)       
1 stick unsalted butter        
14 cups AP flour (8 ounces)     
1 teaspoon salt                
1/4 cup potato flakes        
1 teaspoon cinnamon            
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg        
1 teaspoon vanilla - omit if using emulsions          
1 tablespoon yeast   ( I used SAF Gold Today)       
3/4 teaspoons lemon emulsion
3/4 teaspoons orange emulsion
1 cup raisins (6 ounces) plumped, drained and dried in paper towels

EGG WASH
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water

ICING
1 cup confectioner?s sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream, milk or water

Make dough in the bread machine.  Or use your KA mixer, knead 5-8 minutes.  Let rise for 1 hour; then deflate and refrigerate overnight.  The next day, remove from refrigerator and allow it to rest at room temperature for 1 hour.  OR make and bake the same day; let rise until doubled in bulk, then shape as below. 

Divide the dough into 16 pieces.  Shape into a round bun and place in a parchment lined 12? square pan.  Cover and allow to rise until they?re barely touching one another, 1 1/2 - 2 hours if dough was refrigerated, about 40 minutes if not.

Preheat oven to 375?.  Glaze the buns with the egg wash.  Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until they?re a deep golden brown.  Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.  Make the icing, and pipe onto buns in the traditional cross shape.

Buns may be made 1 week ahead and frozen, wrapped in foil and put in a sealable plastic bag.  Thaw buns and reheat before serving.  Serve buns warm or at room temperature.

Posted: 15 October 2009 02:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1077
Joined  2007-11-15

Have you tried the citrus oils—how do these compare?