salter scales
Posted: 05 October 2010 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2010-04-18

so i live in the UAE. And its near to impossible to find MyWeigh here..buying it on amazon would mean payng triple the price by the time i pay per weight and shippin charge and all that. sigh. i ve been managing with cups till now and still churning out the cakes =) , But i guess the time has finally come to go Digital.. =D
I ve literally scoured the stores here and my options are Tefal and Salter Dome Aquatronic Scale. I believe one of the stores also stocks Soehnle. im gonna check that out tomorrow . If its not Soehnle Futura , then im leaning towards the Salter AqUATRONIC DOME .
My long winded question is this :
Has anybody used this scale? Is salter reliable. I Ttried weighing things at the store and it kept shwing fluctuation of 1g. not more than that. My friends tells me its cause there is a .01 something difference which the salter cant measure as it measures in increments of 1g . hence the fluctuation. im thinking a gram cant makke much of a difference….well atleast compared to the way im weighing now!!! 
SOME BODY HELLP !!!

Posted: 06 October 2010 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2010-09-02

Hi Ninuh… I have used Salter scales in my home kitchen for years with good success although I have never used that particular model.  I have found them to be both accurate and reliable.  I have been using Model 6055 now for about 5 years.  I had an older model that only weighed to 5 grams before that and it lasted for 7 years
(I gave it away to a friend when I got my new one and she is still using it).  So, for home use, I think Salter makes a good product.  One thing I have learned from sad experience is to always have an extra set of batteries on hand.  Every now and then the scale will get stored with something pressing on the on button and run down the batteries.  It only happens when you absolutely have to bake something Right Now and the recipe doesn’t have any volume measurements.  Not a problem with Rose’s recipes!  I hope this helps. 

Janet K

Posted: 06 October 2010 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2010-03-20

Hiya, I’ve been using a salter spring scales, the one with the bowl that sits on top, and it is much better and more accurate that using cups, even if you can’t really get more precise that 0.5 oz, but that’s probably good enough for most baking. It’s indestructible as well. You might find an old fashioned balance-beam scales out in the UAE, one with little weights? Those tend to be both accurate and precise, and are currently the rage in Britain at the moment, and you can pick them up used sometimes.

Posted: 06 October 2010 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-10-05

Hi,

I have used the Salter Aquatronic Baker’s Dream Scale, model #3007, for about 8 years now. I have not ever had to replace the battery in it, but perhaps I should consider getting a spare just in case based on Janet’s post above.  red face I love the scale because it does weigh up to 11 pounds, and it will measure in kilograms and grams. I have the choice to set it to do one or the other when I am baking or measuring anything. The scale has always performed for me. It never fluctuates once the bowl is set on top of it and is still. I like the tare function of this scale as well. It will allow the user to place whatever bowl you want to pour the ingredients in on the scale and then tare it so that it reads back to zero before you put your ingredients in there.

My only complaint is that it does turn off rather quickly. I realize this feature is built in to preserve your battery usage; however, I do make sure that I turn my scale on and off myself. If I could have a say in how it is designed I would have the option to turn off the automatic shut off when I am baking. Outside of that one complaint, which is really more of an inconvience for me, I have been very happy with my Baker’s Dream scale. I think you will be happy with the one that you can get locally as well. It measures fluid ounces as well as dry ingredients with precision. I also have always stored it in the box it came in. Salter has redesigned the scale recently, but I will include 2 links for it here. The first one is the actual scale that I am speaking of that I own. The 2nd link is to Salter so that you can see the new one. I may look into getting one of the myweigh scales once this one quits functioning. There has to be a very good reason that Rose suggests this scale above all others.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SALTER-Bakers-Dream-Scales-/300476608610?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item45f5cd3062

http://www.salterhousewares.com/salter_us/catalog-us/aquatronic-electronic-kitchen-scale-1.html

Here is the newest one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Salter-Pound-Aquatronic-Scale-Silver/dp/B001DQM9P4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1286377244&sr=8-2

Signature 

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c285/LHensens/lindabttfytulips.gif

Posted: 06 October 2010 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Ninuh, you’re going to love weighing ingredients! 

A fluctuation of 1 gram is nothing to worry about, my scale does that when a weight is between two numbers or when I put a bowl down in a different place on the scale than where I tared it.  Be sure not to try to weigh small amounts (baking powder, salt, vanilla) unless you buy a separate scale that is designed to weigh those. 

Have fun!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 06 October 2010 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2010-04-18

Firstly thanks everyone !!!!! its times like these that you really appreciate having a forum like this… i could talk to ny husband about this very matter and all id get are vacant stares… but you guys..your response has overwhelmed me truly!!!!
So i took the plunge and bought the Salter Dome Aquatronic Kitchen Scale. I have spent like 4 day searching non stop for the best scales and these are the best i can find here…  im glad to have you all re affirm my hope that these are indeed good scales ...Cant wait to start baking with it!! Guess i can kiss my cups goodbye now….awwww…lil sad actually…bakin with those cups bought me this far!!!!!!!!! =)

Posted: 06 October 2010 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2010-09-02

Now, now. You still can use your cups to scoop ingredients into the bowl for weighing.

Posted: 10 October 2010 10:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

I heard that model is excellent. As for weighing ingredients, I would never go back to measuring.  If my scale broke, I’d be in a panic until I replaced it