Subbing Wondra flour for cake flour in chiffon cake
Posted: 06 October 2010 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2007-11-21

Some of Rose?s recipes call for Wondra flour. At the end of the recipe she includes a substitution for Wondra flour which consists of cake flour + corn starch. I would like to know the opposite. From what I hear, using Wondra flour in chiffon cakes makes the cake ultra light. So, if a recipe specifies cake flour, can I substitute an equal amount of Wondra flour (by weight)? Thanks much for your help.

Hana?
HanaasKitchen.blogspot.com

Posted: 06 October 2010 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Hanaa, I don’t know why I haven’t tried this yet, but I should, and soon.  The Almond Shamah chiffon calls for Wondra, but the orange chiffon cupcakes (Bostini) and the coffee chiffonlets in RHC do not.  I doubt Wondra would work for the orange chiffon layer, as the key to liberating that cake from the traditional tube pan is the strength of the unbleached AP flour. 

Which chiffon are you thinking of?

Please don’t hestiate to ask Rose over on the blog, she may have tested all the chiffons and have a ready answer:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2008/05/cake_questions_three.html

Have enjoyed reading about your baking with Heavenly Bakers!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 06 October 2010 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Thanks Julie. I’ve posted my question on Rose’s blog. I was interested in making Rose’s Orange Glow Chiffon Cake from The Cake Bible (it’s baked in a tube pan). Let me know how your chiffon cake turns out with Wondra flour, if and when you give it a try. I’ll do the same.
And thanks for checking out my Heavenly Cake Bakers adventures :o)

Hana

Posted: 07 October 2010 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

I would say it would be too tender and lack that bite characteristic of chiffon.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 13 October 2010 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Thanks everybody!!
Just wanted to let you know that I heard from Rose (I posted the same question on her blog - thanks for the tip, Julie!). Rose said you can use equal amount of Wondra flour for the cake flour (by weight). Will try that soon to see if and how much difference it makes.

Hana?
HanaasKitchen.blogspot.com