juice for Mouseline buttercream?
Posted: 06 October 2010 11:58 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2009-09-09

So normally I use fresh fruits and puree and cook it down for my buttercream…
but…it’s totally out of season for fresh fruits right now since i live in Canada…
I was wondering if I can use juice…

but juice is way too sweet >_<
can I decrease the amount of sugar used in the buttercream? (it’s the Mouseline one…yes i can’t spell and i’m too lazy to pick up my book to look for spelling)

i want to make mango buttercream and there’s some really good mango juice….but they’re all so sweet
and i’m not sure if i should cook it down a bit to condense the flavour or not…

anyone with experience/hints for me? thanks!

Posted: 07 October 2010 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2007-11-27

I’ve found that Rose’s recipes use a lesser amount of sugar (and butter) than ones I’ve gotten from culinary pros and classes; so you could experiment with the mango juice and see how it works for you.  I use Ponthier purees and have found that I can add the mango puree directly to the finished buttercream with no ill effects (you have to watch the quantity though, you don’t want to add too much and have it break, or add so little you can’t taste it.)

Alternatively, you could make a mango curd, cutting back on the sugar because of the sugar already in the juice and use this to flavor your buttercream.  This has the added benefit if being able to be spread very thinly on the cake layer to add more mango flavor in the mouth when eaten.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 07 October 2010 07:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2010-09-02

Aggie, I have seen frozen mango in my grocery store freezer section.  I have never used it, but it might be worth a try as well.

Posted: 07 October 2010 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I would not decrease the amount of sugar in the mousseline…I may be wrong about this, but I believe that it contributes to the structure and stability of the final butter cream.  I would not use juice but some sort of puree that has been frozen, or make a puree from frozen fruit.

Posted: 07 October 2010 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes to what the others said, if you reduce the sugar in the syrup you’ll have a softer buttercream that will break or melt more easily- not recommended.

Love the idea to use frozen mangos, they’re available here in my small town, so surely they are stocked by many groceries.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 07 October 2010 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

looks like i’ll try the frozen mangos

canned mangos are no good >_< tried that for a salsa before and totally ruined my normally really good salsa

I do use rose’s BC recipe so it is already low is sugar…just that when i make purees…they usually were not sweet >_<
like last time i did strawberries…i cooked down the strawberries from 1 cup to 1/3 cup so it was rather condense…and kinda bitter
but the BC after the strawberry flavouring was still sweet which is why i’m scared to use juice that is already very sweet.

thanks guys!

Posted: 07 October 2010 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  164
Joined  2009-04-24

I’ve also used fresh mangoes.  Cut up about 4 mangoes, and put it in a sautee pan with butter.  Add some honey.  Then when it starts to caramelize, either put in blender or use immersion blender to puree.  Strain puree.

Add as much puree as you need to get the flavor you like but not too much like everyone says.  No need to adjust the sugar in the mousseline.

Jess

Posted: 11 October 2010 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

i was able to add a lot of the mango puree without the BC breaking apart

does cooking the puree help make the flavour more intense?

I think the type of mango you use matters…. The “Apple mangoes” just weren’t as nice in mango flavour as the other mangoes :(
so people couldn’t really taste it too much

at first when u eat it u donno it’s mango…but if i tell u it’s mango…u could sort of taste it…sigh
i’ll try again some other time