Really Chewy Brownies
Posted: 07 October 2010 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-10-07

Much as I love Rose’s cocoa brownies, I have a dear friend whom I love to bake for, and she insists that a brownie must be really chewy!  I know I could probably come up with a recipe on my own, but does anybody here have a favourite chewy brownie to share?

Posted: 07 October 2010 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

Rose’s cocoa brownies, in her cookie book, are great but have a fluffy, cake-like texture.  Have you tried her Barcelona brownies, from the blog and RHC?  They have more of a moist texture, though they may not be quite chewy enough (they are tender).

The recipe is here:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/recipes/brownies/

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert

Posted: 08 October 2010 12:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

There is a Cook’s Illustrated brownie recipe called Chewy Brownies that uses melted butter and vegetable oil along with additional egg yolks to increase “chewiness” which may be closer to what you are looking for.

Posted: 10 October 2010 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2010-03-20

In Rose’s video where she bakes her Brownie Puddle Tart she says that in a brownie recipe you can always substitute bread flour for the all-purpose flour to get a chewier texture. Brownie recipes are less finicky than cake recipes, as brownies don’t need to raise high, need to be “slightly underbaked” (if we can say that), etc.  So if you have a brownie recipe that you like, you may want to follow her advice and use bread flour instead.

Posted: 11 October 2010 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

you can always substitute bread flour for the all-purpose flour to get a chewier texture

Great tip! Thanks so much!!!!