Which kind of malt powder?
Posted: 08 October 2010 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-10-08

Hello All,

I’ve been reading the forum for some time but have just now registered.

Having grown up in Wisconsin and eating bratwurst from early on, I’ve always eaten them on brat buns, which I’m unable to find in the area of the country where I live now.

I’ve recently found a recipe for brat buns aka Semmel Rolls. You can see the recipe here: http://www.bratwurstpages.com/bratsides.html

One of the ingredients is listed as malt extract. On the KA website they have both Diastatic and Non-Diastatic malt powder available. Which malt powder should I use for this recipe?

Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Randy

Posted: 09 October 2010 01:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

Hi Randy,
The description of these rolls is “substantial and chewy”. I find that description at odds with the recipe and the pictures. These things are all relative however and it is midwest cuisine. There are two reasons to add malt - flavor and food to promote yeast growth. Diastatic malt provides enzymes that promote yeast growth which will give more rise to the rolls. My best guess is that diastatic malt is what is intended for this recipe. Let us know how they turn out.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 12 October 2010 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2010-05-19

I use diastatic malt in my bagels.  It helps free up the starch and aids the yeast in being able to eat more heartily.  I buy it at the home brew beer supply store.  It comes in 3 versions from light to dark, I use the dark.  I believe non-diastatic is more for taste than yeast performance.  I use the barley malt syrup as my non-diastatic yeast additive.