1 of 2
Silk Meringue buttercream is curdling again!!!
Posted: 09 October 2010 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

ok, this is the second time I have made this and it is curdling again.  I am not sure what I am doing wrong but it is like a soupy mess.  It almost looks like it is separating.  It hasn’t been in the fridge or frozen, I just made it.  I just threw it in the fridge to see if it will help because it is definitely way to soft .  Anyone else have problems making this buttercream.  I have not once had a problem making the mousseline buttercream.  I think I am ready to give up on this buttercream recipe.. grr!!!!

Posted: 09 October 2010 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

I think there are differing opinions about this, but I have found chilling makes curdling worse. When I have had buttercream curdle, I find warming it gradually and then beating has always fixed it.

Posted: 09 October 2010 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

...and yes, I think it seems very soft at the point you can make it smooth, after which then chill it for appropriate piping/spreading texture. But as I mentioned, some people have had luck with chilling. Just hasn’t ever worked for me.

Posted: 09 October 2010 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks Matthew.  I will give that a try.  The cooling didn’t help.

Posted: 09 October 2010 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

At what point is it curdling?  And are you making the caramel version, or some other flavor?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 09 October 2010 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

I am just making the plain silk meringue buttercream.  It seems to be right at the end when I add the meringue.  I have tried everything, warming, cooling, whipping and whipping.  Nothing as worked.  I had some mouseline buttercream in the freezer and I am going to use that for my cake.  I’ve given up on the silk meringue buttercream.  Too bad Rose didn’t have a video showing how to make it.  I just seem to be cursed when I attempt to make it.  Too bad,  I love love love the taste.

Posted: 10 October 2010 03:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Liza, your post made me think of a question I’ve had about the silk meringue buttercream.  I’ve made it a couple of times and got lucky, but have always wondered what the temperature of the creme anglaise should be when it is beaten into the butter.  It is one of the rare instances where RHB is imprecise…it says only to cool until “warm”...given that the creme anglaise can also be made ahead of time and refrigerated, it made me wonder how “warm” it had to be exactly.  And if coming out of the refrigerator, would it be okay at room temp (65-70), or would it actually have to be “warmed”?

Posted: 10 October 2010 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

That is something to think about Loopy for sure.  I made the creme anglaise ahead of time and stored it in the fridge.  Maybe it wasn’t warm enough when I added it.

Posted: 10 October 2010 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

It is almost certainly a temperature thing.  When I make this, I always make the custard the night before and refrigerate, but then set it out to come to room temp while I’m making the meringue. 

My suggestion would be to set the completed custard, the beaten butter, and the completed meringue (all covered, of course) in a place in your home that is as close to 70F as possible, and leave them there until they are all the same temp (70F).  Then proceed to combine them as directed. 

It says in the recipe that if it curdles it is probably too cool, so (as Matthew says) I’m guessing that’s why chilling it didn’t work.  Do you still have the curdled buttercream?  You could try bringing it to 70F (this will take hours if it has been in the fridge) and then whipping on high speed, and see if it emulsifies.

Good luck!

Signature 

Posted: 10 October 2010 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Liza, I just wanted to send my best wishes for you and your husband to enjoy his birthday.  This cake sounds like it had a lot of issues, with your scale breaking and the buttercream curdling, I’m so sorry! 

I’m hoping to make the caramel version of the silk meringue this week, I’ll try to veryify temps and details for you.

Signature 

Posted: 10 October 2010 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  164
Joined  2009-04-24

I’ve had curdling problems also in making the SMBC.  Each time it’s happened to me, I whip the buttercream in high speed with a flat beater.  It’s worked for me every time.  I know the book says mix just until it incorporated but I’ve never been able to get it smooth without using the flat beater in high speed.

I use the same technique whenever I have curdling after taking buttercream out of the fridge.  Sometimes, I don’t get my buttercream warm enough and it starts to break when I mix it. Whenever I beat in high speed with the flat beater, it always re-emusifies.  The friction of the beater also warms up the butter.  (in school we were taught to fix broken ganache by using a robo-coup; the agitation forces chocolate and cream to re-emulsify, so I figured same techinique may work for buttercream).

Jess

Posted: 11 October 2010 12:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thank-you Julie and jessjose.  The SMBC has definitely been a love/hate relationship with me.  LOL I absolutely love the taste - I really hate to make it.

Posted: 14 October 2010 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Liza, just wanted to report that I made the caramel silk meringue bc yesterday, and I followed my own suggestion- put out the custard, the Italian meringue, and the butter for something like four or five hours, until they all were the same temp in the middle, 70F.  Then I went through the final steps, beating the butter, gradually adding the custard, then beating in the meringue all at once. 

I may have whipped a little too much, as the final buttercream was so full of air that it almost appeared lumpy- but it was just the bubbles. 

After storing it in the fridge for a day, allowing seven hours to come to room temp, and then whisking for half a minute or so by hand, the texture was abosolutely perfect, smooth and creamy.  I don’t know what it is about this buttercream, but after storing and re-whisking it, a lot of the excess bubbles come out and it is much smoother.  A bonus if you like that texture!

I must say that this is the best-tasting buttercream ever.  People were diving in with their fingers to eat bits of it left on the serving plate smile

Signature 

Posted: 14 October 2010 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thank-you for reporting back Julie.  I will try to make it again using you suggestions.  Hopefully it will work out.

Posted: 01 November 2010 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Another update on the silk meringue buttercream-  over the weekend, I whisked some of this at 66F and it curdled completely into water and lumps.  Figuring there was nothing more to loose, I warmed it to 70F and tried again, and it miraculously re-emulsified into a perfectly smooth, dreamy buttercream.  I was amazed that it could still be saved after what looked like a complete mess.

Signature 

Posted: 01 November 2010 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1355
Joined  2008-09-27
Julie - 01 November 2010 05:51 PM

Another update on the silk meringue buttercream-  over the weekend, I whisked some of this at 66F and it curdled completely into water and lumps.  Figuring there was nothing more to loose, I warmed it to 70F and tried again, and it miraculously re-emulsified into a perfectly smooth, dreamy buttercream.

I did the same thing last week.  I had allowed it to sit a room temperature for about 4 hours, after being in the fridge for two days.  The center of the mass hadn’t reached room temperature yet, so when I started beating it, it fell apart just as you described.  I left it for an hour and then started again.  It took several minutes for it to regain its consistency.  I’m sure that if I hadn’t used way too much orange oil in the buttercream, it would have tasted wonderful.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

1 of 2