2 of 2
Strawberry Maria
Posted: 20 October 2010 10:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

It is fine to refrigerate the cloud cream, provided you have already frosted the cake with it.  That is, don’t make the cloud cream and then refrigerate it in a bowl, expecting to frost the cake the following day.  Best to frost the cake when the cloud cream is first made. 

You could complete the whole cake 24hrs ahead and refrigerate until an hour (or maybe a little longer) before serving.  I have done this several times with the Strawberry Maria, it always works.

Good luck!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 21 October 2010 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2010-09-16

Jenn, I appreciate your vote of confidence and wonderful advice so much!  I’m going to do exactly as you said, although I’m wondering about storing the cake overnight.  I’m guessing wrap it in plastic wrap and put in the fridge or leave it on the counter?  I’m thinking of skipping the lattice band, too, merely because I have a whole lunch to make for this group of women as well as this elaborate cake!  Luckily, a friend has volunteered to come over in the morning and help.  Phew!  Between the two of you, I think it’s going to work out!  : )

Posted: 21 October 2010 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-09-16

Thanks, Julie!  I just saw your post!!

Posted: 21 October 2010 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Sarah, you’re welcome. I’m happy to help.

Definitely you need to store it in the fridge - for safety as it does have whipped cream. Wrapping it in plastic wrap - wouldn’t the cream then stick to the plastic?

Do you have a cake carrier? That would be an excellent vessel to store it - also to protect it. They are not expensive. I don’t know if you live in the US - but you can get cake carrier at Target/Walmart for under $10.

Otherwise, another alternative would be to go to your local grocery store and see if their cake/bakery can spare you 1 or 2 boxes. I’ve heard of people who do this and the bakery is usually pretty nice that they are willing to spare 1 or 2.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 21 October 2010 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes to what Jenn, said, whipped cream must be refrigerated overnight.

If you’re not too picky about the possiblity of little imperfections, you can also put toothpicks in the top of the cake to suspend the plastic wrap above the cake.  I do this all the time, it works just fine as long as you place the toothpicks carefully (in a divet in the piping, for instance).  A cake keeper would be great, if you have one. 

Good luck!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 22 October 2010 12:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  164
Joined  2009-04-24

I agree with Julie and Jenn.  I just made this for my niece’s birthday this past weekend.  You will need to frost the cake as soon as you finish the cloud cream.  Because it has gelatin, it will set.  If you just leave it in a bowl, you won’t have the right consistency for frosting.

The cake is much better after 24 hours.  I made the cake Sat morning, we ate it in the evening.  We ate some leftover on Monday and it was much improved.  Seems like it gets better after a couple of days.

Jess

Posted: 24 October 2010 01:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-09-16

You guys are the BEST!  I finished it the night before.  The stars and planets must have been perfectly aligned because it all worked out!!  I kept it in my carrier in the fridge and it was such a success!  The few times I have made cakes, I have thought…I wish Rose was here to ask her about such and such…but with all your help, I didn’t feel alone at all.  My darn computer is not working properly, but I’ll do my best to post pictures soon.  Thanks again, everyone!!

Posted: 24 October 2010 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Sarah, thanks for reporting back. I’m glad it’s a success! It’s such a good feeling when a cake you’ve labored making turned out and is well accepted. I hope you post pictures soon smile.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

2 of 2