1 of 2
crunchy chocolate filling ( Ferrero Rocher"esque” )
Posted: 13 October 2010 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2010-04-18

so im baking the german chocolate cake with 2 layers of bills buttercream and a middle layer of something crunchy creamy and chocolatey. i chanced upon a home made ferrero recipe here.
http://almostbourdain.blogspot.com/2010/10/homemade-ferrero-rocher-chocolate.html

i want to spread it in the middle layer so the cake will have some texture .  Has anyone done anything like this? im not sure if this particular filling will work. will it get soggy? does anyone have any other ideas for something they ve tried and tested?

Posted: 13 October 2010 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

I’m not sure about the particular recipe mentioned, but I too have been trying to decide how to create a similar filiing (although I’m going for smooth texture).  I’m going to try the chocolate praline SMBC as my first attempt and go from there.  Alos toyed with the idea of adding praline paste to ganache, but haven’t decided if that may be over the top!

Posted: 13 October 2010 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-18

well lucky you! thre is no way on earth i can get my hands on some praline paste here. and neither can i ordr it on amazon. =( hence i resort to methods like above. but please do let us now how the smbc with praline paste turns out. !! it certianly sounds intriguing!!

Posted: 14 October 2010 02:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

I’ve been searching intensively to get my hands on some praline paste!  I think (cross fingers) that a local bakery is going to sell me some!! I’m giddy with excitement.  The ingredient quest is always a challenge…finally got my hands on spectrum organics shortening—it’s only sold in foodservice quantities in Canada (that I know of) and I scouted out a local bakery (ok its 250 km away) that carries it!

Posted: 16 October 2010 01:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

I just made the chocolate praline SMBC and it is delish!  If you are wanting something along the lines of Ferrero Rocher…this is it!  I suppose if you want it crunchy, you could make your own praline paste rather than purchasing some and I’m sure it would be fantastic as well…this may be my new favourite buttercream!

Posted: 16 October 2010 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16
Sherrie - 16 October 2010 04:43 AM

I just made the chocolate praline SMBC and it is delish!

pictures?  smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 17 October 2010 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-18

sherrie i owe you big time!!!!
you inspired me to make my own praline paste and to make the chocolate praline SMBC. and let me say. this my new favorite buttercream!!  love it… love love love it. its like a very posh gourmet nutella..actually it s sacrilege to call it that even..its just brilliant!! nutty and creamy and chocolaty and such depth of flavour..!!! delighted as u can see..hehe…
first off.. i searched high and low for praline paste here but couldnt find it. so i bought some hazelnut oil and went home. i used a recipe off the net. im not sure if it was carole walters for the filbert gateau.
it was basically a cup of shelled skinned toasted hazelnuts ( i toasted mine way too much!! but it stll worked ! )
i caramelized 2/3 cup of sugar to the hard ball stage i think. i think it was spposed to be soft ball but i got ahead of myself with the smell..lol anyway it was really hard and i dont have a food processor so i had to break up the shards and puree them bit by bit in the small jar that comes wit my blender. . it took me an hour i think and even then all i got was golden gritty dust. finally i put all the batches of dust together. poured in a tbsp of hazelnut oil and let it rip for a good 10 minutes. i kept starign at the end product wonderin how comes it so smooth…. it was really smooth!!! lol.. at the end of my one hour 20 minutes i think i can say i pretyyyyyyyy happy. and after i made the silk meringue today i am ecstatic!!!! i dont mind going thru this whole mess again just for that butercream!!!
also when i made the meringue for the buttercream i overshot the 250 F mark and my meringue curdled nd i had to start all over again !@#$$%%^ !!!!!! but all in all in the end it was totally worth. i love it…  it wasnt very ferroresque in the sense that it wasnt gritty or crunchy at all! BUT DELISH none the less… again… im in love with it!!!!!!!

THANK YOU SHERRIE!!!

Posted: 17 October 2010 11:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

I am so glad you loved it ninuh!!  I could hardly stop eating the stuff out of the bowl—why even put it on a cake?  That good!  I can’t believe all of the work you went through (including the curdled meringue!)—but at least it sounds like it was worth it!  Too funny that we were both in search of the same flavour at roughly the same time!!!  I must admit that I will be searching for ways to use this frosting in the future!! 

ON an aside, I did a test wedding cake for my cousin’s big day in November and I think I may need to up the ante a bit by adding some Frangelico or extra praline paste as the flavour was a bit lost with the cake (the cake I made was a the Deep Choc Passion base with ganache syrup, filled with the Ultra decadent chocolate praline SMBC and topped with White Chocolate Mouselline (I was worried about the competing flavours here) and a fondant exterior).  The served cake will not have fondant (thankfully!!) but I think I will have to use a different base for the wedding cake as the Deep Choc Passion does not hold up well when one has to cut through the fondant.  I will have another piece tonight to confirm that the I need to add more “hazelnut” to the SMBC.

Posted: 18 October 2010 03:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-18

oh my god!!!!!!!!!! that is exactly the cake i was planning on using!!!! my goodness! i i was gonna make the deep chocolate passion cake. syruped. and then fill 1 layers with mocha buttercream and one layer with the chocolate praline smbc. and 1 layer with that hazelnut ganache/ hazlnut wafer mix. or maybe caramelised cornflakes? still havent decided. im trying to figure out if the wafer and nut mix will get soggy in between the cake and ganache? and frost it all with the mocha buttecream for smootheness.. No fondant…
is it not slicing perfectly cause of the fondant or is the cake syruped so soft it wont hold slices together? can i use the cake without syruping? have u tried this before? and hmm u re right i can certainly imagine the hazelnutty flavour that comes from eating the smbc alone gettin a little lost amidst the cake and other flavours.. u re right prolly a little more hazelnut paste would do the trick…
what a coincidence!! almost same favours , same time. and somebody to actually talk to about these things… thank you!!! =)

Posted: 18 October 2010 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

The cake won’t work with the fondant because it has such a soft texture (oil based rather than butter)—as a result of the pressure needed to cut through the fondant, the cake takes a huge dip as one tries to cut the cake (it springs back nicely after cut, btw)—still I’d like something more picturesque when cutting the cake.  Since this will be the actual wedding cake (served cake won’t have fondant)—I think I will need to use a butter cake or firmer cake for the wedding cake at least.  I’m not so worried about the served cake.  I actually think the SMBC Chocolate Praline works best on a a cupcake—where there frosting can hit the mouth directly (so to speak) and in my case—without any other frostings to compete/drown out the flavour.  What is the occasion for your cake ninuh? 

Having said all of this, my little 6” - two 1.5” layer test cake held up ok with the fondant on it!  Also, it refrigerated well and I didn’t have any bubbles form as a result of refrigeration (just had some when I kneaded it!!).

Posted: 19 October 2010 02:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-18

ok im not using fondant . have no experience with it whatsoever. and scared to try as well! though i prolly should get around to it sometime or the other! 
Mine is for a birthday party. and u re totally right. the chocolate praline smbc would be perfect for cupcakes when it has a chance to get as much attention as the cake itself or maybe even more… now that u say it. im plannn on fillin it with the chocolate pralien smbc and frosting with the mocha. do you think i should stick to the deep chocolate passion cake since im not using fondant?  or shift to the butter cake?  how did u like the taste of the deep chocolate pssion base cake?  and im just wodnerin if it ll work without syrupign the cakes?
So sorry to swamp you with my silly questions!!

Posted: 19 October 2010 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

The Deep Choc. Passion is a wonderful cake—turns out lovely and as long as you aren’t baking too far in advance, it should be just fine without the syrup!  (I’ll be freezing the cake for the served portions for the wedding)—Have you considered just using one frosting?  I just found the Choc praline flavour to be lost with the cake and I think the more flavours that are competing, the less likely one will stand out.  If I was doing the cake without specific requests—I would use just the SMBC as a filling and frosting and skip the white chocolate mouselline for the outside—but since it is a wedding and my cuz wants a “white” exterior, this is the best I can do.  You may want to do a test cake to try out the filling combos!

Posted: 20 October 2010 01:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-18

hmmmm you re prolly right…  but i have to deliver the cake tom so no time for test…
so im planning on baking up tonight. the thing is i already committed to the client to have this mocha buttercream on the cake. so i have no go. now that i think about it, like you, i too would just like to use the chocolate praline smbc and let it shine.
but i think i ll just use the mocha buttercream to frost now. ah decision decisions!!!!  planning on bakign and syruping and storing tonight. hope it all holds up well tom!! which reminds me. if im torting the 2 cakes. do i need torte and then syrup?  or syrup , let it rest and then torte?

Posted: 20 October 2010 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

I’m sure it will be wonderful anyway…If you are torting, I’d torte 1st, then syrup—I did this and it worked out ok.  If you syrup first it may be too difficult to cut.  Or you could try freezing after syruping and a rest to allow it absorb.  Do post pics of the finished product.  I’m curious to see how this turns out for you!

Posted: 22 October 2010 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-18

hey sherrie!! so i made the cake and the recipients loved it. they couldnt stop raving .. =) the cake was so so moist!! i had syruped it of course but it was still crazy soft.. i had syruped the night before, clingfilmed and foil wrapped and placed in the fridge. i torted the next day and it sliced like a dream!! very evenly moist inside as well… i used the chocolate praline smbc in 2 layers and a crunchy ferrero replicate in the middle. it provided good texture..crunchy nutty et all..
unfortunately i cant seem to upload the pic here as it s too large. do you facebook? would love to send u the link so u can see the pics there!!

Posted: 22 October 2010 11:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Awesome!  Awesome! Ninuh!  So glad the cake was a hit and delicious to boot!  I absolutely love the Deep Choc. Passion cake base—my favourite!  Good to hear the torting after syruping worked out for you.  Did you do the Mocha on the outside.  I do facebook (sometimes)—Just PM the link and I would love to check out the pics! 

I just finished making two batches of White Chocolate Mouselline (The wedding cake size—11 cups per batch I think??)—I’m using pasteurized egg whites in a carton—not my preference, but I’d really hate to get 250 people sick!  Anyway, the mouselline doesn’t turn out quite as well as it does with regular whites, but that’s the price I have to pay.  Also, I’d have piles of extra yolks (freezable I know) but still something I have to “use up” so perhaps the carton is the way to go!  Perhaps tomorrow I’ll do a giant batch of the SMBC and that’s going to be more deadly to have around—as if 11 cups of that in the freezer won’t be calling my name!

1 of 2