2 of 2
crunchy chocolate filling ( Ferrero Rocher"esque” )
Posted: 23 October 2010 06:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2010-04-18

hahah sherrrie….i can imagine how difficult it must be to have that praline smbc sittin around in ur fridge… trust me.. i sitll have some praline paste left and everytime i see it i think to myself….hmmm should i whip up some moreeeeeeee….... lol..
the hubs lovs the white chocolate mousseline!! i even used some of it to decorate this cake!! unfortunately we dont get pasteurized egg whites here.. and im sure even if we did it would be crazy expensive… glad you have a choice.. at least u dont have to contend with using up all those yolks!! but then again….ICE CREAM ICE CREAM !!!! =D heheheh… oh well… sending u the link in PM. =)

Posted: 23 October 2010 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3131
Joined  2010-04-25

Neoclassic buttercream!  Make it plain!  Freeze it & flavor it later!!!

Also, the wonderful gateau breaton!
Downy yellow (and other yummy yello) cakes!

There are NEVER too many extra yolks!!

Posted: 23 October 2010 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

I know…never too many yolks, but…I’m talking at least 3 dozen!!  AND I will be baked out for awhile!  10 - 9x13” cakes and 3-9” round cakes….I think I’m going to need a break before Christmas!

Posted: 23 October 2010 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

I’m so envious!  I dream of having extra yolks in my kitchen:  golden genoise, golden genoise, golden genoise!!!

Each golden gen now takes about 14 yolks, so 3 would use up something like 42 yolks!  And you could just put them in the freezer and use them later (or send them to me cheese  )

You could also go for Woody’s lemon layer cake, I think it takes 17 yolks, all in.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 24 October 2010 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2010-10-22

So, I just made up a double batch of the praline powder, which I usually use in the Chocolate Praline Sheets.  Ninuh- did I understand correctly that you basically used some hazlenut oil to smooth something similar out into a paste?  I’m really curious to see if that works for me to then use in buttercream…and I actually have hazlenut oil on hand, bonus!  Not sure whether I would like the crunchier texture of the classic praline crunch.

Posted: 25 October 2010 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-18

Hey liz C yes thats what i did. though i used the recipe from an online site. i think it was a carole walters recipe for praline paste. basically caramelizd the hazelnuts. sice i could only get a powder in my tiny grinder i added some hazelnut oil and let it rip for several minutes…. i think i let it run for much longer than i had actually intended to but happy accident i got a smooth smooth cream. absolutely no crunch whatsoever. try it. by the way. i used a small jar that is generally used for
grinding ( A moulinex one if thats any help ! ) best o luck!

Posted: 01 November 2010 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-10-22

Thanks, Ninuh!  I added some hazlenut oil to the praline crunch and let it rip in the cuisinart.  Still had a very faint bit of crunch, but it tasted delicious in the buttercream!!!  I just love the way the praline looks before chopping it all up, so I finally took a picture of that too:

Image Attachments
IMG_0115.jpg

Posted: 01 November 2010 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Oh, Liz, that’s beautiful!!!  I’m going to have to try this praline buttercream.  You all have made it sound reeeaaaaallllyyyyyy yummy!

Posted: 01 November 2010 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-10-22

Thanks, Anne!  In the back of my mind, I think a chunk of that praline could be a very cool “modern” adornment on the top a cake.  Perhaps in winter when there wouldn’t be any humidity!  If you haven’t already found it, be sure to follow the directions for skinning hazelnuts on pp. 429-430 of TCB.  This works like a charm.  I will never go back to the warm towel and rub method again.  Just be sure to have plenty of extra room in the pot, b/c the water will of course bubble up like mad as soon as you add the baking soda.  Here are the hazlenuts after removing the skins and then after browning in the oven.  Very tasty on top of salads, too….not that this site is too concerned with veggies!

Image Attachments
IMG_0112-1.jpgIMG_0113-1.jpg

Posted: 01 November 2010 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Liz!!  I skinned hazelnuts like that before for some spekullas (or something)—OMG, it was so easy.  I can see how they’d be good on salads, on cakes, anything. Sugar and nuts are my fave any way you serve ‘em.  Mmmmmmm!  My favorite treat is equal amounts of walnuts and raisins.  Sugar and nuts!

Posted: 03 November 2010 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-18

aww liz C !! glad i could be of assistance !! your hazelnut praline looks so nice!! so much better than mine! mine was a huge clump. lollllll but alls well that ends wel i guess..hehehe =D Would you please let us know what you paired the cream with? and how it all turned out??/
ANNE - yes u must make this silk meringue variation! i cannot stress this enough! =D

Posted: 03 November 2010 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-10-22

Ninuh, I paired this up with All Occasion Downey Yellow Butter Cake and Dark Chocolate Ganache….I put a picture up on Show and Tell as “Halloween Birthday Cake”.  The lucky winner called yesterday to tell me how much she loved her cake and that she and her family could not stop sneaking back for more.  So, the taste combo was a big hit!  (I used it in the Neoclassic Buttercream)

2 of 2