Flaky cream cheese pie pastry
Posted: 15 October 2010 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I made this for an apple pie last weekend and it was amazing.  So flaky.  I just had a question about freezing this pastry for future use.  Rose says that it can be frozen for 3 months.  Has anyone froze this pastry for longer than three months?  I would like to make quite a bit and freeze it for future use, whenever I have the urge to make a pie.  But I am worried if I don’t use it within 3 months, I will have to throw it out.  I would be freezing it with my foodsaver.  Any disadvantages to freezing it for future use, or is it better to make it fresh each time I make a pie?

My pie turned out so wonderful that I might start to make pies more often.

Posted: 15 October 2010 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Liza!

First, let me say that I am the queen of freezing.  The only time I have had trouble with freezing anything is when I lived a place where I think they turned the electricity down to 2% at night or something.  Other than that, I’ve found that stuff lasts waaaaaaaaaayyyy long in the freezer, and always longer than things state with completely fresh results.  A “rule of freezers” is to keep it as full as possible—even if you have to freeze 2 liter bottles of water—becuase everything stays colder more consistently and you have less freeze-thaw cycles or something.  I never have to worry about this, as my freezer and I have an ongoing game where it tries to prevent me from cramming anything else in, and yet I am always able to get any quantity in necessary, even if I have to pull everything out to do so! 

So, maybe someone will have an answer who has experience with this particular item, but based on my freezer experience, I’d say throw it in there confidently!!  Also, anything susceptible to funky thawing (as yeasty/rising bread dough bagged in small amounts can be, which is not your case) is to put it in the back where it will remain coldest, since it won’t be exposed when you open and close.  If I were doing pie dough with cream cheese, I’d pitch it toward the back, but not worry about it too much, as butter and cream cheese are pretty freezer stable.

My thinking a batch would be good for a year easy, if your freezer is good and full! 

Congrats on making a great pie dough!!!  That’s something I’ve never done, that’s for sure!

Hey, though, here’s a great story:  These two guys used to come into my folks’ restaurant. They were talking about pie, and the one guy did the finger-space thing indicating how high his mother’s meringue was.  The other guy said that’s how thick his mother’s CRUST was!!!  Cracked me up!  LOL

Posted: 15 October 2010 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

LOL  LOL  LOL  Too funny!!!

Thanks Anne, queen of freezing.  I freeze alot as well, especially this time of year.  I think it has something to do with winter coming.  I’m like a squirel stockpiling acorns for the long winter ahead.  Heaven forbid…do you think we are going to be snowed in for months - that’s what my husband says when he looks in the freezer! 

I think the pie dough will be ok in the back of my freezer.

Posted: 16 October 2010 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

I’ve definitely frozen this pie crust dough more than 3 months and it’s come out perfectly.  However, I’ve noticed that pretty much everything does much better in my current freezer than in any past equipment that I’ve had, so results may vary.

Personally, I find that having ready made dough in the freezer makes me more likely to bake a pie, so it rarely lasts that long!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 16 October 2010 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks Julie!  I knew you would chime in at some point.  You are a wealth of knowledge for all things baking.  grin  This weekend is pie dough weekend.  Lots of it.  But I have a feeling that I will be making more pies too, since my pie last week turned out so well.  Maybe I won’t have to worry about keeping it over 3 months.

Posted: 19 October 2010 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2010-01-16

This might be a weird question, but what shape is the pie dough in when you freeze it?  Do you roll it out to the shape of a pie pan or is it just a lump until you defrost it?

Posted: 19 October 2010 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

I froze the pie dough in the shape of a thin disk.  It is much easier to roll out once it has thawed.

Posted: 20 October 2010 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

avivaleah, both methods work.  It seems to take up less freezer space to keep it as a disk, but it’s so convenient to have a crust already rolled and in the pan, waiting in the freezer.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 04 November 2010 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-09-16

I have also had outstanding results with this crust and would like to freeze it for future use.  My question is..can you double the recipe safely?  Triple?  I use the food processor method and I am thinking I could double it but probably not triple it.  I am generally making the dough for a 2 crust 9” pie.

Can it be doubled?