Measuring pie plates
Posted: 16 October 2010 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I am having a little problem trying to figure out the size of my pie plate.  I know it is bigger that a 9” regular pie plate because when I made the apple pie last week, I barely had enough dough when I made the cream cheese flaky pastry for a two crust pie, as well as there were not enough apples.  I used 8 cups following Rose’s recipe but when I took it out of the oven there was a space between the top crust and the apples.  I am thinking that I need to make the recipe for the 9 inch deep dish pie.  But I am also wondering how much more of the filling do I need to make for this size pie for an apple or lemon meringue pie.

I am enclosing a picture of the pie plate.

Image Attachments
pie plate.jpg

Posted: 18 October 2010 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Liza, I have a similar white ceramic pie plate from Emile Henry.  I don’t know what possessed me to buy it, it is super-sized, 10.5” across versus the standard 9.5”.  I used it to make this pie: http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/1373/P0/

Basically, when I use this pan, I know I need to make a dough circle 13” in diameter instead of the standard 12”, which is about an increase of a quarter (25%), I increase both the crust and filling by that amount.  For that particular apple pie, I used a 1.5x crust recipe for both the bottom crust and the leaves, because I also needed to account for the larger circumference and I didn’t want to run short.  The filling was increased by 1.25x. 

I generally don’t plan on having the crust go up and over onto the fluted rim with this pan, as the larger pie takes longer to cook and I know anything up on that rim would be burned by the time the pie was done.  The rim acts as sort of a second border, with the crust border below it.  So basically, I think it makes sense to go by area rather than volume when scaling up, because having a pie too deep creates all sorts of problems.  With a top crust, placing the top of the pie below the top of the pie plate should reduce or eliminate the gap.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 18 October 2010 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Well I measured it from rim to rim and it was 10.5” inches as well.  I am hoping that is how I am supposed to measure it.  I made the lemon meringue pie this weekend and I had to made 1.5 times of the filling to fill the pie plate, with only a little left over.  I made the dough using the recipe for a deep dish 9” pie and I just had enough, barely.  I did have the crust go up at over the fluted rim - hence, it was very, very well done, not burnt but pretty close. 

There was so much filling, in fact alittle too much for my liking.  I don’t know why I bought this pan either, I guess it looked pretty.  LOL  I don’t know if I am going to use it too much, it’s huge.  I think I am going to invest in a regular sized pie plate.  I think it will be easier to produce a lovely pie in a regular pie pan instead of this mammoth one.

Although,  the pie that you made in the link your gave me was stunning.  Was it the designer open faced apple pie?  I could keep this one and use it for similar pies.

Posted: 18 October 2010 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

L, yes, it was the designer open face pie.  I love the crispy crust (from blind baking) and low corn starch content of open face pies smile.

How did your husband like the lemon meringue?

Signature 

Posted: 19 October 2010 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

He loved the pie, so did my kids.  The taste was amazing.  Just a little too much filling. smile  I also found that the filling wasn’t as set as what I though it would be.  It wasn’t runny, but more of a really thick pudding.  Not sure if that is how it is supposed to be.  I’ll need to make it again in a regular size pie pan to see if I need to adjust the amount of cornstarch.  I like a firm filling.  But it could just be because I made 1.5 times of the filling.  I’ll find out the next time I make one.

Posted: 19 October 2010 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Glad he liked it! 

I find 1.25x to be about the right amount of filling for this pan, anything more just doesn’t bake well.

Signature 

Posted: 19 October 2010 08:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

I will try making only 1.25X the amount of filling next time I use this pan and see how it turns out.  Thanks again.