Eggless Cake receipe help
Posted: 20 October 2010 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2010-10-06

Hiii… I need to make an egg less cake for a friend..instead of egg I will be using Tofu, I have used rose factor for baking 6inch chocolate cake , following the same method mentioned in the book, only difference is I will be using Tofu pulp.

Self Rising flour - 246gm
tofu - 100 gm
Baking powder 2 teaspoon
Sugar 200gm
Butter- 150gm
Cocoa powder - 42gm
water boiling 156gm
vanilla 6gm
salt 3.34

Please any one has any advice or suggestion please let me know.

I have tofu powder and tofu puree which one is better to use ???

Posted: 21 October 2010 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2007-11-21

Sagarika,

I have NO idea if and how the tofu would work in this recipe. Since you need to make an eggless chocolate cake, I would highly recommend using a recipe from a book called BakeWise by Shirley O’Corriher. I’ve made that cake many times and it’s wonderful. You can either make a 9” round cake or an 8” square cake. Here’s the link to the recipe: http://books.google.com/books?id=b-iwjIb2RxwC&pg=PA82&lpg=PA82&dq=eggless+chocolate+cake+recipe+from+bakewise&source=bl&ots=uw5R8w-ysd&sig=9dLgz2jIEWsrUyu9T3f9TAl6JJE&hl=en&ei=Aa3ATN24I8rAnAfjuuzTCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f;=false

It’s called Shirley’s Crazy Cake. I hope it works for you.

Take care,
Hana?
HanaasKitchen.blogspot.com

Posted: 21 October 2010 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Well, ILoveBaking, that was some very fascinating and intriguing reading!  Thanks so much for posting.  Geez, now I want to read that whole book!!!  That kind of stuff just fascinates me no end!

Posted: 21 October 2010 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Thanks Anne in NC. Same here. Shirley’s books are great. She’s a food scientist and manages to explain the science behind baking in plain English so that everybody can understand it smile

Hana?

Posted: 21 October 2010 11:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-06

Hiii I love baking.. thanks for the link.. I read the blog, its very interesting.. I will be trying it today.. I read many blogs regrading eggless baking, and I noticed many people use Silken tofu its a protein I guess. As I am no food expert so can’t explain the chemistry however I will make both the cakes using both the recipes ( with and without Tofu ) and will surely post the feedback:)

Thanks a lot for helping me out smile

Posted: 22 October 2010 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

and will surely post the feedback

Please do!!!!

Posted: 22 October 2010 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Sagarika, yes, please post your feedback. Good luck!

Hana?

Posted: 22 October 2010 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-06

Hiii… I have to mention this that I am going crazy with eggless cake and I am baking this for a friend whom I have promised to give cake tomorrow morning.. its 10:25pm here now.. I tried baking with Shirley’s recipe..I have to mention I am quite anxious and some how back in my mind I feel cakes without eggs are not that gr8 as compared to cakes with cake ( Normal cakes)....I made the batter and when I tasted it,I realised that I forgot to add Sugar, so I added it at last, and one more mistake after adding oil i whisked the batter and then added cold water, however as per the recipe I was suppose to pour all the water to the batter and then whisk it… So after all these blunder,  cake was baked it did not come out well…

Posted: 22 October 2010 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-06

I tried baking another eggless cake with Condense milk receipt..for 6inch as follows:

All purpose flour : 1.5 cups
Baking powder: 1/2 teaspoon
Baking Soda : 1/2 teaspoon
Sugar : 1 cup
Condense milk 200ml (I used unsweetened )
Orange juice : 1/2 cup k
Vanilla : 2 teaspoon

Cake came out well.. looks nice soft and moist. Hey friends I got the response from my friend and she shared a piece with me, cake came out really well smile. Please see the pic.. I made chocolate ganach filling in the layers and frosted with whipped chocolate frosting smile

Image Attachments
Optimized-Eggless cake with chocolate filling piece.jpgOptimized-Eggless cake with Chocolate layers and choco flakes.jpg

Posted: 23 October 2010 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

sagarika, thanks for reporting back- looking forward to hearing how the tofu version works.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert

Posted: 23 October 2010 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

It’s so cute!!!!  Congratulations, and I’m glad your friend loved it!!!  With all that experimenting, I’ll bet you’ll be glad to be back to the world of eggs for awhile!!  Thanks, too, for sharing your results.

Posted: 23 October 2010 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-06

thanks Julie and Anne, after such a rough day I am glad..she have now ordered me a egg less cake for next month event.. She has actually offered to pay smile.. Coming week I will be trying egg less cake again using tofu. I will put the feedback with photo:)

Posted: 25 December 2010 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-12-25

Hi Sagarika,
I will be trying my first ever eggless cake tomorrow morning, and from ur posts have decided to go for this recipe:
All purpose flour : 1.5 cups
Baking powder: 1/2 teaspoon
Baking Soda : 1/2 teaspoon
Sugar : 1 cup
Condense milk 200ml (I used unsweetened )
Orange juice : 1/2 cup k
Vanilla : 2 teaspoon

I have some doubts—
1. how much is 1.5 cups in grams?
2. The sugar that u used is powdered or reg sugar?
3. Which brand condensed milk did u use?
4. Is the orange juice mandatory or u used it for the orange flavour?
5. Can i skip the orange juice?will it make any diff to the cake then?

Please respond asap as im depending on you for my cake…Thank you so much!!

Regards,
Ruchira

Posted: 26 December 2010 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  607
Joined  2007-11-27

My favorite eggless chocolate cake recipe is the one sometimes called Wowie Cake; my mother made it all the time as we were growing up because it was quick to put together and while you can do it as a layer cake, she always made it in a 9x13 pan and put frosting on top and just kept it in the pan until it was gone.  Usually the next day!

I don’t have the recipe handy, but if you google Wowie Cake, you’ll find the recipe.  It’s been around a long time because it is very economical to make and maybe originated during the Depression or WWII.  Definitely use Hershey’s cocoa with it, you don’t have to use the expensive cocoa for this.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 26 December 2010 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-06
Ruchira - 25 December 2010 11:43 AM

Hi Sagarika,
I have some doubts—
1. how much is 1.5 cups in grams?
2. The sugar that u used is powdered or reg sugar?
3. Which brand condensed milk did u use?
4. Is the orange juice mandatory or u used it for the orange flavour?
5. Can i skip the orange juice?will it make any diff to the cake then?

Hiii Ruchira smile  Please see the details required as follows:

I used this for 7 x 2.83 ( My pan sizes are bid weird )

All Pupose Flour : 160gms
Baking powder : 1 teaspoon = 5gms
Baking Soda : 1/2 teaspoon : 2.5 gms
Regular fine grain sugar : 200gms

If you want to make chocolate cake.. which comes out great as well : use
All purpose flour : 118gm and Cocoa powder : 42gms
In this case use Coke instead of Orange Juice.. and please be assured it comes out great. Use coke without any hesitation you will love it smile

If you making vanilla Cake you can substitute Orange juice with any soda drink ( don;t use cola ) fanta or sprite / 7up is fine. You can use any condense milk just remember if it is sweetened than use 150gms of Sugar.

Bake at 200c for 20mins and then for 20mins more at 170c

I also had tried Wowie cake also known as War or Depression cake it uses Vinegar.

In case you need to know more do feel free to ask:)