Nut Free
Posted: 21 October 2010 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2010-10-21

I will be baking all of the desserts for my granddaughter’s b’day party next week and would like to include the pumpkin cake from Heavenly Cakes.  Since the venue is a nut-free facility, how can I adjust/adapt this recipe to make it nut-free?  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Posted: 21 October 2010 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

boggler, I would substitute vegetable oil (safflower or similar) for the walnut oil, and then try leaving the walnuts out. 

Sometimes with recipes with nuts, the nuts are part of the structure of the cake, in which case a little flour might be needed to replace the nuts.  In other recipes, they are just an add-in, and no substitution is necessary.  I’m not sure which way this recipe was created, so it would be an experiment to leave the nuts out without any adjustment.  But that’s what I would try.  Be sure not to skimp on the beating times. 

You could also consider posing the question directly to Rose, over on the blog.

Good luck with all the desserts!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 21 October 2010 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-10-21

Thank you for your response.  Pardon my ignorance but as a newbie to blogs, I have no idea how to pose the question to Rose on the blog.  Have been searching around blog but still not sure what to do.

Posted: 22 October 2010 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

No worries, just post your question here:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2008/05/cake_questions_three.html

For future reference, at the top of any page on the site there’s a wide pale peach section.  Next to Rose’s picture there are headings in red, “Blog” “Forum” etc.  Rose checks the blog when her schedule allows, but she doesn’t get on the forum very regularly, it is designed for us all to answer/discuss each other’s questions. 

Good luck!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 22 October 2010 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2007-11-21

Hi Boggler,
I made this cake last year, also nut-free and it turned out great. You can read about my changes here: http://hanaaskitchen.blogspot.com/2009/11/hcb-pumpkin-cake-with-molasses-flavored.html

Good luck!
Hana?
HanaasKitchen.blogspot.com

Posted: 26 October 2010 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-10-21

Thank you so much Hanaa.  I will let you know how it turns out!

Posted: 26 October 2010 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-10-21

Thank you Julie.  I’ll keep you “posted” - pun intended!