Tons and tons of WALNUTS!!!
Posted: 24 March 2008 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-03-15

Hi again all! I made Rose’s Walnut Fougasse from the Bread Bible yesterday and it turned out GREAT!

I even stuck a few more walnuts in the top (not toasted) before I slid it into the oven. It was my first try on this one, so I was surprised when it came out and it was exactly as Rose said it would be——crispy, dense, chewy on the inside and NOT oily. After kneading in all that oil, I had my doubts. But Rose was right again.

I thought it sort of strange that with all the yeast, the bread still didn’t rise up too much while baking. I think it’s supposed to be like that, but it seemed strange to me from the outset.

I like it also because it’s a straight dough method bread. Sometimes I just want a loaf in a day and I can’t wait for an overnight refrigerator rest (I always leave overnight to develop flavor.)

Any more savory nut breads that anyone highly recommends? I’m not sure how this would be with other flavors of oil, or nut, or…...

Scott

Posted: 24 March 2008 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

You should post pics of your breads smile.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 25 March 2008 12:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

For walnuts, my favorite is the cranberry walnut variation in chapter 5, but there is also the walnut onion bread that follows the fougasse.  Several of the quick breads in chapter 2 also use walnuts.