Liqueur Cake Suggestion Please :)
Posted: 30 October 2010 07:09 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2010-10-06

Hiii… I want to make a special liqueur cake for my husband’s Birthday in December, I need some suggestions. I am tempted to use Bailey’s coffee or Lindt/ Mozart Chocolate Liqueur.. Please suggest which cake should I bake , Genoise or ??????

Posted: 30 October 2010 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I think your best bet would be a genoise.  It is a sponge cake and can absorb alot of liquer laced simple syrup.  You could use a butter cake but if too much syrup is added it will become all mushy and break apart.  I think Rose gives amounts of syrup to use for butter cakes in one of her books.  I can’t remember which one.  Report back on what you decided to use and pictures of course!

Posted: 01 November 2010 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2010-10-06

But I want to make a theme cake , Football cake.. so will it work with Genoise ???

Posted: 01 November 2010 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4807
Joined  2008-04-16

It might work with genoise.  What size/depth is the pan?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 10 December 2010 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-12-10

Very interesting question ,
i love liquour cakes ..and have baked a few - example .. rum cake , kahlua cake both require glazing the cake with rum butter glaze or kahlua butter glaze ..
to make a theme cake u would have to omit the glaze and add some liqour to the butter cream   ie if your Butter cream recipe calls for water or milk in that case u could substitute the alchohol.
cake recipe does have some alcohol in it
chk out the recipe at the link below .  I also have the recipe for the buttercream ...
and for another rum cake ..if the one on the link desnt work for you .
hope this helps

http://baking.about.com/od/bundtcakes/r/bacardirum.html smile