Recommendations for turnover crust
Posted: 01 November 2010 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

Hi Everybody,

I’m baking for a dessert party next week. The hostess is enchanted with the idea of mini-fruit turnovers, which I plan to do with apples and cranberries. (Turnovers are a wonderful way to have your pie and eat it too, without the mess and hassle of serving actual pie slices for a crowd.)

Problem is, I’m not sure which kind of dough to use. In PPB, Rose recommends a basic pie dough in her recipe for mini turnovers. But, most of the photos I’ve seen online are made with puff pastry. Rose recommends against puff pastry because it tends to open at the seams, and the filling spills out, which you then have to spoon back in. I was thinking of a quick puff pastry (PPB p. 420) because it distorts less than a classic puff pastry. I’m also partial to puff pastry because of its taste and texture, and for nostalgia—it was the casing for the huge turnovers I ate when I was a kid.

The other issue is size. I want to make the turnovers as “mini” as possible, since they will be a part of a larger dessert buffet. So maybe the basic pie dough would be the way to go. See how I’m driving myself crazy? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Posted: 01 November 2010 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

3rd entry down in the post below shows some really yummy turnovers Jenn made with the cream cheese pie crust.  I don’t think you could beat that!!!!!

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/2817/P15/

Posted: 01 November 2010 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

Thank you, Anne! I actually did a google search before I posted, but somehow I missed this particular entry. They do look yummy.

Posted: 01 November 2010 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Christine, I feel your angst! 

If it were me, I would probably opt for the cream cheese crust because it is easier to handle, and I’ve had more experience with it.  Plus, I think it shrinks less and might end up giving a better presentation.  Just my two cents.

But if you’ve had plenty of experience with the quick puff pastry, that may be just as good.  I was just inexperienced when I made it and not everything turned out as beautifully as I’d hoped.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

‹‹ 10% cake and pastry flour      Help ››