Whole Wheat bread (or rolls?) Any favorites?
Posted: 25 March 2008 01:06 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2007-11-15

I’ve been wanting to expand my horizons a bit and try some new (to me) whole wheat recipes.

I’m okay with recipes that have half white/half whole wheat or something.

Does anyone have some recipes to recommend??

I have tons of cookbooks, RLB’s included, so just list a recipe name and cookbook if that’s all you’ve got time for. smile

One old favorite has been the Graham Bread from Fanny Farmer, but somehow the texture of that one doesn’t thrill me now that Rose’s recipes have helped me learn how to make breads with better textures. Flavor’s okay, though, and it’s really pretty forgiving, so I can see why it would have been one of the first bread recipes that I made successfully all those years ago.

Posted: 25 March 2008 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

My favorite WW bread in the BB is the sourdough wheat with seeds.  If you don’t have a starter, you can probably figure out how to substitute starter with yeast.  One bread where I found half ww made a big difference was Irish Soda Bread, also in the bb.  I liked the half ww version better.

Posted: 25 March 2008 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2007-11-15
Matthew - 25 March 2008 04:00 PM

... One bread where I found half ww made a big difference was Irish Soda Bread, also in the bb.  I liked the half ww version better.

Hey! I haven’t made the soda bread yet. How’d I manage that?

Thanks for the rec, I’ll give it a try.

I couldn’t sleep last night, so in the middle of the night I made up some of the FF Graham bread dough. Kneaded it this AM, since I didn’t want to wake up the rest of the house. I modified it by using some bread flour, using less liquid, and kneading it. (The original’s a batter bread.) I’m curious to see what happens now. I’ll probably bake it as rolls tonight.