Presentation of Sauces
Posted: 02 November 2010 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1333
Joined  2008-09-27

I’m trying to imagine a way to present a variety of sauces for use in desserts.  What I visualize is several glass containers of some sort sitting over a low flame to keep them warm. I’m not sure what to google on to find out what my choices are.  The best I’ve come up with so far is gravy boats or fondue pots.  Any thoughts?

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 02 November 2010 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

CharlesT, do the sauces have to be warm or can they just be room temperature? What kind of dessert will be accompanied with the sauce? Are you thinking that people can choose which sauce they want and then serve themselves?

The first thing that came to mind is a more sophisticated sort of presentation. To have the dessert on the plate, and then drizzle the different sauces all around on different sides of the plate, then they can take a bit of cake, and a bit of each sauce. Then depending on which one they like, they can add more sauce.

Not sure if this would work for your setting though.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 02 November 2010 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Jenn - 02 November 2010 05:14 PM

CharlesT, do the sauces have to be warm or can they just be room temperature? What kind of dessert will be accompanied with the sauce? Are you thinking that people can choose which sauce they want and then serve themselves?

I was envisioning warm and people would serve themselves; that’s the way that I would like it.  I think having the sauces sitting over a low flame would be very attractive.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 02 November 2010 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2008-01-24

Have you looked at chafers?

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 02 November 2010 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Maybe a warming plate (you can often borrow one) or, if you have foodie/chef friends to borrow from, an induction burner or two?  Preheated quarry tiles of some sort might work for a short period of time.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 02 November 2010 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Gene - 02 November 2010 06:20 PM

Have you looked at chafers?

All the ones on Amazon are very large, but that’s the nature of what I have in mind, just smaller.  I’m thinking that some of the fondue pots may work.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 02 November 2010 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Julie - 02 November 2010 06:47 PM

Maybe a warming plate (you can often borrow one) or, if you have foodie/chef friends to borrow from, an induction burner or two?  Preheated quarry tiles of some sort might work for a short period of time.

That would be the most flexible solution, but the presentation isn’t very attractive.  I’m also concerned that if I were taking the sauces to a pot luck, the availability of plugs might be an issue; I usually see a number of warming plates.  Something self-contained would be better, either battery powered or using chafing fuel.  I’m leaning towards a couple of fondue pots; I see one that’s divided into two separate sections, which is convenient.

Thanks

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 03 November 2010 04:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2008-04-28

Hi, had you considered a thermal jug like the one linked to below? We bought one last year for the Christmas gravy and it kept it hot all meal and looked nice. (like any thermos or warm sauce jug you do need to prep it with hot water first to get maximum thermal warmth going prior to filling)

http://www.innovations.com.au/Product_Detail.aspx?ParentCategoryID=167&CategoryID=44&ProductID=91691

Posted: 03 November 2010 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Cate - 03 November 2010 07:54 AM

Hi, had you considered a thermal jug like the one linked to below? We bought one last year for the Christmas gravy and it kept it hot all meal and looked nice. (like any thermos or warm sauce jug you do need to prep it with hot water first to get maximum thermal warmth going prior to filling)

http://www.innovations.com.au/Product_Detail.aspx?ParentCategoryID=167&CategoryID=44&ProductID=91691

That may be a workable solution; the jug is attractive and nicely sized.  The ones that I had seen were all so big.

Thank you!

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 07 November 2010 12:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

Very nice jugs. They will probably have a lot of other uses too

Nice site, Cate