1 of 4
AP Flour instead of Cake Flour
Posted: 03 November 2010 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

Hi!

This morning I am baking Rose’s Cinnamon Crumb Surprise in TBB, page 97. 

The recipe calls for cake flour 1 1/2 cups/5.3 oz/150 grams

In Pointers For Success, Rose writes, “it is fine to use all-pirpose flour”

Does anyone know the amount of AP flour to substitute for the cake flour?

I believe I once read you can substitute AP for cake by volume.  Is that correct?

Thank you in advance,

missy

Posted: 03 November 2010 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, MJ!

I think you can safely assume that if she doesn’t mention any adjustments when she says “it is fine to use all-purpose flour,” that you can use an equal weight.

No doubt someone who knows for sure will chime in, but that’s my guess (FWIW)!

Happy baking & happy Tea this afternoon!  ‘Cinnamon’ ‘Crumb’ and ‘Surprise’ are three words I love to hear in succession!!!!

—ak

Posted: 03 November 2010 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1363
Joined  2008-09-27

Agreed that you should use equivalent weights of AP vs cake flour.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 03 November 2010 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

Thank you Anne and Charles.  I really appreciate your replies.

Do you mean I can substitute cup for cup of cake flour (3.5 ounces per cup, 1 1/2 cups= 5.25 oz) even though AP flour ( 5 oz per cup, 1 1/2 cups=7.5 oz)? 

Do I use 1 1/2 cups AP for each 1 1/2 of cake flour ?  Or do I use 3.5 oz AP flour instead of cake flour?

Thanks guys..I appreciate it

Posted: 03 November 2010 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

The substitution is by weight, not cups/volume.  So, you could use 150g or 5.3 oz of bleached AP in the batter, plus another 50g or 1.75 oz in the topping.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 03 November 2010 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

Thanks Julie.  It was a little confusing to me. Thank you for helping me understand it.

Question..If I used un-bleached, would the weight differ?

Posted: 03 November 2010 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

The difference in weight is very slight for unbleached and beached.  I don’t have my book in front of me, but the figures are in the Pie and Pastry bible chart in the front of the book.  I would say, it doesn’t really make a significant difference, but yes, there is a slight difference.

Posted: 03 November 2010 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

Okay, that is good to know. Thank yo, Bill, and thank you for directing me to the front of the book. The P&PB; has so much information, I wasn’t able to find it.

That is very good to know.

I already baked the bread this morning but I will bake it again later this week with AP flour, just to try it.  My bread today looks as though it came out delicious.  I followed Rose’s recipe using cake flour.  the only thing I did different is drizzle glaze over the top because we like it a little sweeter.

Image Attachments
IMG_4596.jpg

Posted: 03 November 2010 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Oooooooh, MJ, another beautiful bread!!!!  Looks scrum-dili-icious!!!

Posted: 03 November 2010 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

Thank you cheese  Next time I will use the AP flour and see how that comes out.  We like cakes rustic as well as elegant and I think this recipe would be great going either way.

Posted: 03 November 2010 10:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Looks just lovely!  I bet it was delicious.

You were asking about the unbleached just for the weight comparison, right?  Because that loaf is a butter cake and won’t do well with unbleached flour.

Signature 

Posted: 03 November 2010 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

Thanks Julie.  I didn’t cut into the bread yet; I am looking forward to it after dinner tonight.

No, Julie, I actually I wanted to try unbleached flour.  I make quick breads several times a week and never have an issue I don’t put them in the refrigerator and they don’t last long enough to have issues with the butter.  When I make it, I will post a picture of the inside. Perhaps there is an issue and I am just unaware of it.  After all, I am here to learn.

Posted: 03 November 2010 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

they don?t last long enough to have issues

If they do technically have “issues”—and I’ve had sunken middles (and other ‘fun’), etc., myself.—it doesn’t seem to interfere with the enjoyment of your baking, that’s for sure!!!

Posted: 04 November 2010 02:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

That’s true.  When I want to get a WOW reaction, there is no other recipe I would use other than Rose’s. I know when I make one of Rose’s cakes, that cake will make a lasting impression people will be talking about.

However, for just us,  My husband and I like to have rustic cakes, buckles and quick breads.  I use white whole wheat, whole wheat, pastry and bread flour, as well as cake flour, depending on the recipe.  Our favorite bread is a banana bread.  It is made with 16oz AP flour, 20oz of brown sugar, 8oz buttermilk, 9oz chopped walnuts and 20oz of banana. This is the bread that heightened my interest in baking because of the reaction I received from those who tried it.  For a long time, I made nothing else.  Then I started to explore other recipes and that is how I found this forum and Rose’s books.

I do want to try the unbleached AP and give it a taste test.  If it doesn’t come out right, I won’t try it again.

Posted: 04 November 2010 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Here’s the thing:  if the batter is made with oil (like many quick breads), then using unbleached AP will make it tougher and more domed, but won’t have other problems.  If the batter is made with softened butter (in this case, the base is a classic butter cake), then it’s possible that you’ll also get a dip in the middle and a layer of sunken, rubbery butter at the bottom of the cake.  So, bigger problems with the butter cake.

There are ways to use the unbleached flour, but they are more work.  Search Kate Flour (heat treated to solve the butter issue, then cut with cornstarch) and The Power of Flour (substitute potato starch for a portion of the flour and adjust the leavening) over on the blog. 

Whichever option you take, please report back on your results!

Good luck!

Signature 

Posted: 04 November 2010 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Here?s the thing:  if the batter is made with oil (like many quick breads), then using unbleached AP will make it tougher and more domed, but won?t have other problems.  If the batter is made with softened butter (in this case, the base is a classic butter cake), then it?s possible that you?ll also get a dip in the middle and a layer of sunken, rubbery butter at the bottom of the cake.  So, bigger problems with the butter cake.

Julie, this is great info! Thank you so much!

1 of 4