2 of 4
AP Flour instead of Cake Flour
Posted: 04 November 2010 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07
Julie - 04 November 2010 11:46 AM

Here’s the thing:  if the batter is made with oil (like many quick breads), then using unbleached AP will make it tougher and more domed, but won’t have other problems.  If the batter is made with softened butter (in this case, the base is a classic butter cake), then it’s possible that you’ll also get a dip in the middle and a layer of sunken, rubbery butter at the bottom of the cake.  So, bigger problems with the butter cake.

There are ways to use the unbleached flour, but they are more work.  Search Kate Flour (heat treated to solve the butter issue, then cut with cornstarch) and The Power of Flour (substitute potato starch for a portion of the flour and adjust the leavening) over on the blog. 

Whichever option you take, please report back on your results!

Good luck!

Thank you for this information Julie.  I guess I should stick to the flour the author of the recipe recommends.  The reason I wanted the measurements of AP flour in Rose’s recipe is because Rose offers its use an option in the recipe.

The recipe I bake the most is the banana bread in Peter Reinhardt’s Crust And Crumb

The top never sinks nor does it get a rubbery band.  It is made by creaming the butter and sugar, which become cloud-like after 2 minutes of beating.

Posted: 04 November 2010 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16
missyjean - 04 November 2010 02:11 PM

The reason I wanted the measurements of AP flour in Rose’s recipe is because Rose offers its use an option in the recipe.

Yes, the recipe notes list bleached AP as an alternative, that is fine to use.  I haven’t tried this recipe with unbleached AP, but Rose lists the aforementioned problems with unbleached flour in her butter cakes.  If you do happen to try it with unbleached, please report back.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 04 November 2010 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hey, MJ, and if you love banana bread, try the Cordon Rose, but I swear, I’d use all butter and use the full 1/2 c. sour cream option.  It is so moist and delicious!  I don’t know what comments could have made anyone think it wasn’t moist and needed to be modified with oil!!!  And the lemon zest makes it so wonderful!

Posted: 04 November 2010 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07
Julie - 04 November 2010 06:57 PM
missyjean - 04 November 2010 02:11 PM

The reason I wanted the measurements of AP flour in Rose’s recipe is because Rose offers its use an option in the recipe.

Yes, the recipe notes list bleached AP as an alternative, that is fine to use.  I haven’t tried this recipe with unbleached AP, but Rose lists the aforementioned problems with unbleached flour in her butter cakes.  If you do happen to try it with unbleached, please report back.

I will..if for no other reason than comparison.  Pictures will follow smile

Posted: 04 November 2010 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07
Anne in NC - 04 November 2010 08:35 PM

Hey, MJ, and if you love banana bread, try the Cordon Rose, but I swear, I’d use all butter and use the full 1/2 c. sour cream option.  It is so moist and delicious!  I don’t know what comments could have made anyone think it wasn’t moist and needed to be modified with oil!!!  And the lemon zest makes it so wonderful!

I have been meaning to.  I have been making a lot of different cakes and my husband has been asking for his banana bread.  When I go to the store tomorrow, I will buy bananas for the Cordon Rose specifically.  As soon as they ripe, I’ll post it here too.

Anne, do you remember how I mentioned my husband wouldn’t have anything with lemon? Well, now he has it all the time and never has a problem with it.  I even baked a cranberry buckle made with orange zest and the juice of an orange and he loved it.  I think I got him accustomed to it.  cool grin

Posted: 04 November 2010 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

I think I got him accustomed to it.

Good job, MJ!  I knew you’d been gradually moving that along, so I’m so happy to hear you now have the entire citrus world at your disposal.  I think it’s very cute that your hub loves your banana bread so much that he thinks of it as “his” banana bread!!!

Posted: 05 November 2010 02:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

LOL  I let him think a lot of things wink

Posted: 05 November 2010 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

LOL!!!

Posted: 06 November 2010 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

I don’t know if posting baking from recipes other than Rose’s is permitted on this forum…if not, mods please feel free to delete this with my apologies.

I just wanted to post something I baked using unbleached flour.

By the way, the Cinnamon Surprise bread, following Rose’s recipe exactly came out beyond-belief delicious.

The pictures below is a cake I baked this morning.

It is an Upside Down Pear Chocolate Cake

It is very moist and the chocolate cake is really delicious

Just sharing…

Image Attachments
IMG_4601.jpgIMG_4603.jpgIMG_4606.jpg

Posted: 06 November 2010 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Wow, MJ, that cake is really pretty!  The contrast of colors is wonderfull, and the pear pattern makes it look like a big flower!  Glad it came out so yummy!

You’re driving me crazy with all these breads you’re making!  Cinnamon Surprise sounds fabulous.  I’m definitely a beliver in the concept that “too much cinnamon” is an impossibility.  Are your breads from TBB?  Are there lots of quick breads in it?  I should look at that picture post….  Lazy me!

Congrats again on the extra-pretty chocolate cake!!

Posted: 06 November 2010 11:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

Thank you Anne.  The Cinnamon Surprise is from TBB.  It is very similar to the Apple Cinnamon Crumb Cake in RHC. 

There are a few quick breads is TBB.  The Carrot bread in TBB looks delicious.

Since we like our pastry a little more sweet, instead of adjusting the recipe, I drizzle a glaze on top of the loaf.  It adds just the amount of sweetness we like.

The glaze is made with 4oz confectioners sugar, 1/4 tsp vanilla and 2 TB heavy cream whisked together.  I always had to add more cream to get it to the right consistency, probably 5-6 TB in total.  It’s really a good way of adding sweetness to an otherwise perfect recipe

Posted: 08 November 2010 06:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Nice upsidedown cake, MJ!  I think I may have tried the same one a few months ago.  After that, I embarked on a quest to find the perfect chocolate upsidedown, and so far my favorite is red plums with Rose’s moist chocolate genoise (scaled down to a 3-egg version) and the caramel in the bottom of the pan from the plum/blueberry upsidedown in RHC.  The red plums are especially pretty.

Signature 

Posted: 08 November 2010 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

Thank you Julie. 

I would like to try that.  If I can’t find frozen plums, can I substitute another fruit?

Why did you have to scale the recipe?

During the summer I made a black cherry upside down cake using fresh cherries..It was really good

Image Attachments
IMG_4393.jpgIMG_4394.jpgIMG_4395.jpg

Posted: 08 November 2010 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Your cherry upside down looks just wonderful!

Let’s see, I used 150g of sugar plus 45g water for the caramel, then stirred in 5T of butter before pouring it into a buttered 9 inch pan. 

The moist choc genoise I scaled to a 3 egg quanity, because I needed to use a smaller pan and smaller quantity to keep the plums from becoming complete mush from a longer cooking time.  Also, any more than that just seemed like too much cake.  I used Matthew’s new technique from the blog, worked well for me.

I don’t seem to have the weight of plums, but I used fresh and sliced them into fourths for small plums or sixths for larger ones, and made sure to cover every bit of the pan bottom/caramel with fruit.  Any gaps and the caramel will remain hard.  Red plums are the prettiest and I didn’t skin them.

I cooled the cake in the pan, partly to allow the caramel extra time to dissolve and partly to keep the delicate sponge from falling under the weight of the fruit and caramel. 

I looked for a picture but I don’t seem to have one… I’ve been bad about forgetting to take pictures lately- made my first tiered cake this weekend and have nothing to show after all that work!

Signature 

Posted: 08 November 2010 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

Thank you for that information.  I will bookmark this thread because I will need those instructions.  Thanks a lot.

I would have loved to see your tiered cake.  Did you make it for a special occasion?

2 of 4