Passion Curd
Posted: 03 November 2010 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-04-20

Hi,

I made the Classic Passion Curd using recipe amounts from RHC yesterday and it’s quite runny :( Then I checked CB, and that recipe has 1 more egg yolk/ .5 oz ...didn’t think to cross check before… could that have made the difference? I saw that some bloggers use either gelatin or cornstarch to thicken…if I had to use one to thicken which would be better? And is it possible to cut sugar amt without sacrificing texture? FYI, I used frozen puree not fresh…

Thanks for all your help!

Posted: 03 November 2010 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  637
Joined  2008-01-24

Hi Nads,
What thickens this curd is cooked egg yolks. So either there wasn’t enough yolk or it didn’t get hot enough. I like to use a thermometer and I heat the curd to 165. Egg yolks can vary in size by quite a lot which is why Rose offers measures by weight. A little extra for this recipe would be better than not enough. You could experiment with what you have by adding another yolk and recooking. smile

By the way other recipes use thickeners such as cornstarch because it is less finicky. But they don’t taste as good and their texture is not as good.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 03 November 2010 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-04-20

Thanks! I will definitely redo using your advice! I have read other posts where instead of using Passion Curd in Mousselline they added reduced passion puree, would a buttercream made with curd hold up better in hot weather under fondant than one with a fruit reduction added?

Thanks again!

Posted: 03 November 2010 11:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  637
Joined  2008-01-24

I just don’t know about the buttercream. Cake people?

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 04 November 2010 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

I think that depends in large part on the buttercream base.  It’s true that a curd will have more stability than fresh puree, all other things equal.  However, it will also have a richer flavor, which may or may not pair well with the base, and with the cake.  An Italian Meringue buttercream is going to be relatively stable with either curd or puree, because the base is very stable (within the realm of all-butter buttercreams).  With either added, though, it isn’t going to last much above 90F because of the butter. 

A classic/french buttercream base is not as stable as the IM, and in my humble opinion is too rich to add curd to.  So, to add the puree to a softer base would give a less stable bc. 

What cake and buttercream are you pairing it with?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 04 November 2010 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-04-20

Thanks for info! Was thinking about either a vanilla or orange flavored cake with Passion Mousseline…it will be gluten free so NEED the buttercream to be amazing! lol