Help! I got water in my buttercream can it be saved? This is the Woody’s Buttercream Frosting.
Posted: 04 November 2010 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  153
Joined  2007-11-21

I am in 94 degrees weather and in an attempt to keep my frosting cool I put it in an ice bath. And, of course, as I went to check the temp of the frosting water got into my frosting. i tried to dump out the water. Not that much water got into the frosting but I couldn’t give you an exact amount. Is there anyway to salvage my frosting? Can gelatin be added? Is there something I could use to stabilize my buttercream? This is the white chocolate buttercream frosting.

Thanks Joan

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com

Posted: 04 November 2010 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1357
Joined  2008-09-27
Joan - 04 November 2010 10:50 PM

Is there anyway to salvage my frosting?

If you leave it exposed to the air, the water will evaporate.  If your air temp is too high, it should still work in the refrigerator, because the air inside is pretty dry.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 05 November 2010 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Wow, 94 degrees is quite hot!  I don’t have a lot of experience with this specific frosting, I’ve only made it once and I didn’t make the version with the lemon curd. 

That said, most buttercreams can incorporate a little liquid without breaking.  I think the bigger worry is how to keep butter and cocoa butter from melting at 94F!

Perhaps Rose may have a better answer, feel free to ask her over on the blog.

Good luck!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 08 November 2010 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21
CharlesT - 05 November 2010 12:24 AM
Joan - 04 November 2010 10:50 PM

Is there anyway to salvage my frosting?

Thanks Charles, I went immediately to the fridge and took off the plastic wrap covering, and went to bed. It was hard like a pound of butter in the morning, and I whipped it a little and lo and behold, it went on great. I will post a picture [if I can figure out how lol]

If you leave it exposed to the air, the water will evaporate.  If your air temp is too high, it should still work in the refrigerator, because the air inside is pretty dry.

Signature 

Posted: 08 November 2010 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21
Julie - 05 November 2010 02:53 PM

Wow, 94 degrees is quite hot!  I don’t have a lot of experience with this specific frosting, I’ve only made it once and I didn’t make the version with the lemon curd. 

That said, most buttercreams can incorporate a little liquid without breaking.  I think the bigger worry is how to keep butter and cocoa butter from melting at 94F!

Perhaps Rose may have a better answer, feel free to ask her over on the blog.

Good luck!

Thanks Julie. It worked just fine. Thank heaven. That Woody’s cake is labor intensive and I was tired in that 98’ heat. I really didn’t want to redo it. So thanks to you and Charles, it worked out fine. Another crisis averted, lol. joan

Signature