Give me an unusual cookie
Posted: 08 November 2010 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2010-09-15

Any of you have a recipe that is unusual for cookies?

Signature 

Sour dough Experiments
I am starting a blog on My Blog

Have not that much on it until this sentence is gone off my sig.
Sorry lost access to net from moving into a trailer. I will make a post in Crazy cook soon

Posted: 09 November 2010 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Two unusual cookies (at least here in the US) that I like a lot are from Rose’s Christmas Cookies.  The first photo is of the brandy snaps and the second is of the three-nut fingers.  The brandy snaps have a crispy, almost toffee-like texture.  These are filled with whipped cream but I’m looking forward to trying them with the lemon curd cream variation listed in the recipe.  The nut fingers have the most astonishing disappearing texture- once you get over the shock, they are amazingly good.

Image Attachments
brandy snaps.jpg3nutfingers.jpg
 Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 09 November 2010 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Julie, how is Rose’s Christmas cookies? I thought of getting it. Are the recipes pretty involved or easy?

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 09 November 2010 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

I am not Julie but I have RCC’s and can tell you that the book is well worth having!  Some of the recipes are more complex but the instructions are up to Rose’s usual high standard and are achievable if you are keen enough to make them!

Posted: 09 November 2010 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Jeannette, you are so cute! Thank you for the response! I already have 4 of Rose’s books, so I’m going to get this one as well now.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 09 November 2010 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2010-05-05

I second those Three-Nut Fingers!  They look like they are your boring, typical run-of-the-mill cookie…..but one bite and you’ll be blown away!  The hard part is getting people to give them a try, especially when there are other cookies around that might be more appealing to the eye.

Sugar Addict

Signature 

http://www.sugarcoatedbliss.com

Posted: 10 November 2010 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Jenn, I love the book, and like Jeannete think it’s worthwhile to have. 

But just so your expectations are guided in the right direction, it isn’t full of recipes for classic American-style drop cookies, like chocolate chip or oatmeal (there is one oatmeal recipe made with granola, and a non-traditional chocolate chip- Laura Brody’s chocolate phantoms).  Some of the recipes are incredibly easy, like shortbread, David’s American Dream Bars (i.e, seven layer bars made with good chocolate), gingerbread and classic rolled sugar cookies.  Some are a little more involved, with fillings and such, but although time consuming aren’t as difficult as say, a sponge cake.  Every recipe has a photo, which I love. 

My dream is to have someone give me the box of cookies pictured on the dustcover- one of each! smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 18 November 2010 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

My mother-in-law bought me this book last year for christmas.  But so far I have only tried David’s American Dream Bars and they are out of this world.  I plan to make quite a few different cookies from it for christmas this year,  especially the bar type to bring in and share at work.  I have been trying to read the directions for Rose’s gingerbread Cathedral.  It looks almost impossible to make, but so beautiful..maybe one day.

Posted: 19 November 2010 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  596
Joined  2007-11-27

I have made every one of the cookies in the RLB Christmas Cookie book with the exception of the lion’s paws and the pistachio ganache rolls.  Everything is wonderful, and it’s a great collection of recipes.  The gingerbread cookie is my go-to recipe and the only one I use for the GB cookies I sell; everything else is spot on and very delicious.  I don’t have a favorite recipe, I like all of them.

My other favorite cookie book is an old one - Maida Heatter’s Book of Great Cookies - the first one.  I love the coconut washboards from this one, and the rugelach are really good; so are the striped ones (pinwheels I think, but I’ve made them as just stacked rectangles).  This book is divided into the usual categories: drop cookies, bars, rolled/cut, icebox, etc.

Another favorite book is Maida Heatter’s Book of Great American Desserts - this one has a recipe for Chocolate Gobs, aka Charlie’s Cookies, aka Mulattoes (which are in her first ever book).  I love this chocolate cookie - it’s a drop cookie and you can put just about anything you want in it - white choc chips and dried cranberries, or nuts or even the little Andes Candies baking bits.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 17 December 2010 11:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-06-16

Saphtalon:

Here are two unusual cookies that lots of people are hesitant to try, but when they do, they are converted immediately.

Romance cookies: A shortbread base topped with a mixture of coconut and walnuts.  These bar cookies are cut into diamond shapes and dusted with powdered sugar. 

Gilded Sesame Cookies: A new classic in my family.  These cookies are made with tahini, rolled in sesame seeds tinted gold, silver, or copper with luster dust. These were the surprise hit last year.  They disappeared first!

Posted: 17 February 2011 01:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-02-17

Gotta agree, the 3 Nut Finger are a huge hit and a bonus with only 3 T of sugar in the dough! I make 5-10 kinds of cookies from Rose’s book each Christmas and this is the one everyone wants the recipe for (followed by the almond crescents).  Her rugalah is a knock out with the addition of apricot; incredible flavor and texture.