Another oven question…
Posted: 08 November 2010 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-11-08

Our new home has Kitchen Aid double wall ovens- each oven only has one heating element at the top of each oven.  Ive noticed my cupcakes are not rising and/or sinking after removing from oven.  My cold oven pound cake looks awful,does not rise, cut taste the same. I’ve tested the temp with a thermometer and it seems to be accurate. Could it be due to the heating element being on top? My old oven had heating elements on top and bottom and didnt have a problem, can’t buy new ovens- any thoughts or suggestions?

Posted: 09 November 2010 02:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Hi Golfgirl, Are you sure that your ovens don’t have hidden heating elements in the bottom?  Seems like most ovens sold now are designed that way to make clean-up easier…my GE is that way and I think I remember the Kitchen Aids being the same way.  I know this doesn’t solve your baking problems, but just trying to eliminate one area of concern.

Posted: 09 November 2010 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Every time in my life that I got a new oven..or moved…or what ever the circumstances were…I had baking disasters.  It just takes time to get used to the new oven.  Oven thermometers are notoriously inaccurate.  I’m not sure which one Rose recommends…but be sure you have a good one.  Question:  Are the cakes testing done at the correct time?  or are they taking too long to bake.  It sounds like the oven isn’t hot enough.

Posted: 09 November 2010 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

I am receiving my new oven today.
I am hereby and officially quaking in my shoes….......

Posted: 09 November 2010 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Anne:
What kind of oven are you getting?

I am soooo envious of my sister.  She has a really big house with a huge kitchen, and she has a Wolf gas range AND an electric wall oven.  Soooooo envious

Posted: 09 November 2010 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Ha!  You don’t have to be envious of me!  I’ve got a Whirlpool (I won’t know the model until I get home at lunch and see it!), but my old one was a Whirlpool, and it was great for the 11 of its 25 years that I had it. 

It suddenly started to where you could turn off the burners, but it wouldn’t turn off the LIGHT when you turn off the burners, so my landlord is replacing it.  I’ve got great landlords!!!

I’m very excited, because it has one of the pan drawers, and OMG, do I need a pan drawer!!!!!

Posted: 09 November 2010 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

I live in a condo…so I bought my own appliances, and I’m really unhappy.  I bought a Viking…I thought…I love to bake, buy a good oven.  I hate it.  I’ve had problems with the thermostat, problems with the burners, no one wants to fix it.  I hate it.