Red Velvet Cheesecake
Posted: 10 November 2010 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2007-11-19

My husband is graduating with his third degree this weekend.  We are hosting a small dinner party for family.  I want to make the Red Velvet Cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory.  If you haven’t seen it, it is two layers of red velvet cake and two layers of cheesecake with a cream cheese frosting. 

I wanted to take the easy way out and use a no bake cheesecake for those two layers.  I found one on Martha’s website.  The only thing I am worried about is if it would be strong enough to hold a layer of red velvet and another layer of cheesecake without collapsing or squirting out the sides.

What do you guys think?  Should I just bite the bullet and make a traditional baked cheesecake?

Signature 

“If we couldn’t laugh, we would all go insane.” ~ Jimmy Buffett

Posted: 10 November 2010 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Did you see this post?

http://changeabletable.com/Changeable_Table/Full_House:_Cooking_for_large_families/Entries/2009/12/6_Red_Velvet_Cheesecake.html

It does look like the cheesecake needs to be fairly sturdy/dense.

Posted: 10 November 2010 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  146
Joined  2010-03-30

Until I saw the pictures I thought it sounded odd, but wow! That’s going to be a gorgeous cake!  (I don’t have any advice on the cheesecake though).

Posted: 11 November 2010 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  135
Joined  2010-01-18

WOW! What a showstopper! I can’t wait to see the finished product! (altho I would be inclined to make two separate thinner layers of cheesecake - torting a cheesecake sounds like a recipe for disaster to me!) I’d also be inclined to use a simple whipped cream frosting so as not to overpower the cheesecake and cake flavours. Has anyone ever tried this type of thing in mini-cheesecake tins using already baked bases? Sort of like Rose’s Baby Lemon Cheesecakes?

Posted: 11 November 2010 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

I wonder if you could make a soft no-bake cheese cake and use it like frosting—i.e., pipe or spread it onto the red velvet cake?

Posted: 11 November 2010 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-18

I’d imagine that it would be ok (as long as it has some kind of gelatin or other setting agent in it to set it upon chilling). But I am not sure how well it would stick to the sides of the cake. I have used a lemon mousse cheesecake recipe (uses gelatin and 4 eggs) and filled and frosted a chiffon cake roll with it - so it may be possible. I also do a no-bake cheesecake using Dream Whip which sets up firmly enough to cut into squares. That could also work.

Posted: 11 November 2010 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

And there’s a no-bake cheesecake in RHC, Marie baked it before the bake-along started.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 07 February 2014 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-18

Here is a chocolate cheesecake torte I made a few yrs back for our anniversary. It turned out to die for - other than being a bit unsightly upon slicing. I still swoon remembering it. I did use a fairly firm type cheesecake layer, the one on the Philly pkg. Another one I loved was Willow Bird’s Red Velvet Cheesecake - it has a chocolate cookie crust, a cheesecake layer topped with Red Velvet cake and drizzled with white and ark chocolate. Divine! Do give that a try!

Image Attachments
IMG_4208.jpg