deep chocolate passion cake query
Posted: 11 November 2010 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2010-04-18

hey there. im planning on baking the deep chocolate passion base cake filled with raspberry ganache and frostd with white chocolate mousseline. Has anyone tried ths combination? 
also i plan on doing it in 6 inch pans. Should I halve the recipe ? Something tells me half the recipe probably wont be enough to fill two 6” inch pans.  Should i 2/3 rd it??? PLEASE HELP!

Posted: 11 November 2010 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

I haven’t made this, but as to pans:

If the recipe is written to make one 9x2” layer:

9x2” round pan = 4.5x4.5x3.14 = 64” area
6x2” round pan = 3x3x3.14 = 28”
Two 6x2” round pans, then, are 56”

So, one 9x2” layer will fill two 6x2” pans…plus a little cupcake for you!
.88 recipe will exactly fill two 6.2”

If the recipe is written for two 9x2” layers, then:

two 9x2” round pans = 128
two 6x2” round pans = 56

Half will more than do it—another cupcake! 
.43 recipe will exactly do it!

Good luck!!  Combo sure sounds good!

Posted: 11 November 2010 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

Anne, you are amazing!

Posted: 11 November 2010 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi.  I have done the exact combination you refer to as a wedding cake!  It turned out fabulous.  Here’s a link to my blog documenting the process:  http://forheavenlycakessake.blogspot.com/2009/11/making-of-wedding-cake.html

Anne’s got you on the right track for the proportions.

Posted: 12 November 2010 04:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2010-04-18

Anne thanks so much!! Im totally horrible with numbers and logic. so yes there is no way on earth i would have figured that out =D YOU ARE TRULY AMAZING!!! =)

Sherrie - WOW!!!!!!!
I loved reading that post of yours! Im wonderin how come i havent stumbled on it before. It looks so divine. Im definitely going ahead with this combination now. =) My only question is you talk of using a hgher meringue to butter ratio for the white chocolate mousseline.- the new recipe. Is this new recipe in RHC? is it the one that rose has paired with the deep chocolate passion cake but when i read it i discovered that is more of a custard base.

Posted: 12 November 2010 06:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

ninuh, the increased-meringue mousseline is paired with the Miette’s Tomboy in RHC.  It is sweeter than the classic version in the Cake Bible- I made a batch recently, but after tasting it decided to add the additional butter to turn it into the Cake Bible version, as it was just too sweet for me. 

On the other hand, if you prefer sweeter frostings, go for it!

A further thing I did to keep the white chocolate mousseline from getting too sweet, was to sort of deconstruct the white chocolate.  I added all the ingredients of white chocolate except the sugar- I liked it a lot, I may never go back to plain vanilla mousseline.  For a Cake Bible mousseline batch, I added 1 oz melted and cooled cocoa butter, 1.5 tsp vanilla, and a little milk, probably about a tablespoon.  Not sure that the milk added much, but the cocoa butter and vanilla were great. 

A number of the online shops that sell specialty chocolate also sell cocoa butter, I get mine from King Arthur but lepicerie.com and chocosphere also sell it.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 14 November 2010 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-05-25

Hmmmn…that deconstructed white chocolate is an intriguing idea Julie!  I’m not crazy about overly sweet frostings, but I also don’t care for frostings that are overly buttery.  In my days before Rose, I used Dede Wilson’s Italian Meringue buttercream recipe, which is much the same as the Miette’s ratio—slightly different technique, but I found it wasn’t as buttery.  I only make white chocolate mouselline now, as for some reason it cuts the butteriness…but now I may have to rethink and use cocoa butter and cut the sweetness too!

Posted: 15 November 2010 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

deconstruct the white chocolate

Julie!  I love this!  If I decide to use any of my * new * mousseline as vanilla, I will definitely do this!!!  Thanks!