Rose’s Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Posted: 18 November 2007 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-11-18

I made it the other day, and the flavor was fabulous but I was wondering if anyone else found it dry like I did.  When I measured out the flour, I may have lost count and put in an extra 1/4 cup of flour (I know, my boyfriend has recommended measuring by weight instead of volume before). So that could be the culprit, but did anyone else find the cake not as moist as hoped? If so, I thought some added milk or eggs next time could help.

Posted: 18 November 2007 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2570
Joined  2007-11-15
irleshay - 18 November 2007 09:41 PM

I made it the other day, and the flavor was fabulous but I was wondering if anyone else found it dry like I did.  When I measured out the flour, I may have lost count and put in an extra 1/4 cup of flour (I know, my boyfriend has recommended measuring by weight instead of volume before). So that could be the culprit, but did anyone else find the cake not as moist as hoped? If so, I thought some added milk or eggs next time could help.

Your boyfriend must be a baker at heart (or a chemist).  Weighing is the most wonderful way to go!  My baking changed dramatically when I started weighing ingredients - first I did so in lbs. and oz., but now I’m weighing by grams.  It’s so wonderful to know you are measure exactly the right amount of ingredients, which naturally result in perfection every time!

Signature 

Come visit me at

My blog:  http://butteryum.org

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum

Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 18 November 2007 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

I have found this recipe to be extremely moist, so I bet something did go wrong measuring the flour.

Posted: 18 November 2007 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2007-11-18

I also have found this recipe to be quite moist.  I religiously weigh everything when I bake, however, and I truly believe that makes a huge difference in the finished results!

Signature 

“There is no such thing as reconstituted lemon juice, only reconstituted taste buds.” - Bert Greene

Posted: 19 November 2007 03:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-11-18

Thanks for all the quick replies!  I’ll definitely be making this again, AND investing in a scale!  smile  I was reluctant to give it a second go if I’d wind up with another dry cake, but sounds like it was my error.

Posted: 19 November 2007 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2007-11-18

Let us know how it goes!

Signature 

“There is no such thing as reconstituted lemon juice, only reconstituted taste buds.” - Bert Greene

Posted: 26 November 2007 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  603
Joined  2007-11-18

Irleshay I believe I solved your cake"DRYNESS” problem. I do believe you may have employed more cake flour than you had intended. Here is how, The recipe requires 2 cups of “SIFTED CAKE FLOUR”. That means you must sift the flour first & then measure out 2, cups. If you measured out 2, cups first & then sifted you will have more flour then the recipe required you to employ.
EXample:
cake flour sifted weighs 3.5, oz per cup or 4, oz if lightly spooned, or 4.5, oz if the dip & sweep technique is used.
SOOO, Irleshay, only you would know if you sifted first & then measured, or the opposite, if not, then the chances are you used too much flour than the recipe required. I hope this helps you understand of the WHY your baked product baked dry.

~FRESHKID. cool hmm

Posted: 26 November 2007 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  143
Joined  2007-11-17

I agree with fresh kid.

1/4 cup flour is a lot of extra flour.  smile

Also, I’ve snuck in an extra tablespoon or two of sour cream when making this cake.  Doesn’t seem to hurt it… and I’d like to think it is just a touch more moist.

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://occasionalbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 27 November 2007 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

It has been a long time since I measured flour, but if I recall correctly, the procedure Rose uses is to sift the flour directly into the measuring cup—not to measure the flour after it has been sifted, which could cause compression.

Posted: 27 November 2007 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

I’ll “weigh in” for weighing ingredients. It has really helped my baking, especially cakes.

It took a while to fit it into the household budget, though. What helped while I was waiting for the scale was to be very careful about measuring ingredients exactly the way the recipe specified.

Now, if I look at a baking cookbook and it doesn’t have a section somewhere that tells you “how to measure ingredients,” I get annoyed. Rose, you’ve raised my standards!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 28 November 2007 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-11-23

I agree about weighing to measure ingredients.  No matter how wonderful the recipe or cookbook I think a little less of it if weight measurements are not given.  Extra marks are given if volume, imperial, and metric are covered!

‹‹ chocolate torte problem      Kitchen Scales ››