Tropical Wedding (Birthday, actually) Cake
Posted: 15 November 2010 12:13 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2008-02-28

It’s a terrible picture, taken in bad light against a wrong background, but I just wanted to show Rose and Hector the 9” and 6” version of the Tropical wedding cake I’d made for a weekend 4-way birthday celebration.  Everyone thought it looked like a wedding cake (!!!!) but since the birthday celebrants were 2 grown men, a young lady and an 8-year-old boy, I had a hard time thinking of how to decorate it and in the end went simple.  The off-centre stacking doesn’t work so well here, it really needs a significantly smaller top tier and the 3” difference wasn’t enough.  So it just prompted my husband to ask why I’d stacked the cake so crookedly.  Also chopped the mac nuts too large and ran a bit short, and to avoid having to run out for more, had to do some judicious speading of the nuts on the bottom tier, hence the slightly sparse look.  I thought the passion mousseline went very well with the banana cake.

Image Attachments
Tropical cake.jpg

Posted: 15 November 2010 01:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2007-11-05

i think it looks great! true the nuts are a bit large in proportion to the piping but very even and i actually like the way the off center tiering looks even with these size layers. thanks so much for making the effort to post this!

Posted: 15 November 2010 01:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-28

Thank you so much Rose!

Posted: 15 November 2010 02:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

i think it looks great, too. it is very level and your piping is good!  I can guess you placed the macs one by one with tweezers, as I did!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 15 November 2010 03:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-28

er, no… Hector, I love your work but I don’t have the enormous patience and attention to detail that you have… not to mention styling skills :-(  That’s why I have to look to you for inspiration!!  (And trust me I inspected your Tropical birthday cake for the longest time thinking of how I could decorate mine!)  I placed the nuts the way Rose recommended in the book - holding the cake in one hand and pressing them on a handful at a time.  Actually I imagine it would be easier to place whole nuts with tweezers than the mac pieces which are all odd shapes.

Posted: 15 November 2010 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Yes, the cakes are very even!! That is some impressively flat and smooth buttercream in the middles!  And your piping looks like little pearls! 

And if the mac pieces are a bit large, well, that’s just more mac flavor in every bite, and that’s ALWAYS a good thing.

This Show ‘n’ Tell topic is going to have to come down—my ‘To Bake’ list is looking a lot like my childhood letters to Santa…..

Another very inspiring cake!!!

Posted: 15 November 2010 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

It’s gorgeous! I also love the off-center placing of the top tier. The nuts are really even, your piping is gorgeous, and the frosting is very even. Congrats!

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 15 November 2010 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Really lovely, what a beautiful cake!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 16 November 2010 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Gorgeous!  Congrats!

Posted: 23 November 2010 02:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-28

Thanks so much everyone for the encouragement.  I am only disappointed about the terrible photo.