Refrigerating a Thanksgiving tart
Posted: 16 November 2010 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-11-16

Hello, everyone.  I’m a brand-new member of the forum and am, as I know you all are, a devoted fan of Rose and her fabulous books!

When baking pies and tarts, I do everything possible (which often involves rising at 3:00 a.m.) to ensure that my creations will not have to be refrigerated, since, as we all know, that makes the crust soggy. 

Here’s the problem:  I’m committed to baking a pumpkin tart for a friend (actually, someone who purchased a plethora of my pies at a charity auction) who must have the tart delivered Wednesday afternoon to be served at Thursday’s Thanksgiving dinner.  For a bunch of reasons, we must keep to this timetable.  Pumpkin is a custard containing dairy, so leaving the custard at room temp for 20+ hours is not a safe option.

So here’s the question:  do you have any suggestions for perking up the crust of a previously-refrigerated tart?  I’m wondering whether 5 minutes in the post-turkey 350 oven might do it, or 5 minutes at 400, or something else altogether?

I will be most grateful for your expert advice. 

Thanks, Lark

Posted: 16 November 2010 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2010-06-12

What kind of dough are you using for the crust?

Posted: 19 November 2010 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-11-16

Good question!  Pate brisee.

Posted: 20 November 2010 11:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4807
Joined  2008-04-16

Would it work to make a sugar crust/ pate sucre?  That might hold up a little better to refrigeration, and is lovely paired with a pumpkin chiffon.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe