by hand 3
Total Votes: 9
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Kneading dough by machine.
Posted: 17 November 2010 06:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-11-17

I’m new on this site.  I have kneaded my whole wheat with honey sandwich bread by hand for the last 6 months. I live alone, no family, no entertaining etc. I make two loafs a week and its alright. But I am wondering if I would get a better loaf if I did it in a food possessor or a mixer to knead them with which I am thinking about buying one for that purpose. I would like a variety of points of view on if I would get better texture, rise etc with a machine. If you got an opinion and have done all three ways on which one please tell me why you like doing kneading with a possessor, mixer or by hand. Is one style better for one application or bread type over another? How many people do it by hand now of days? I wonder by not seeing it done on TV that doing it by hand is out of date these days. I could not find anything on the Internet on this subject.

Thanks in advance
                                                                                        ?Nash?

Posted: 17 November 2010 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Take a look at this post over on the blog, and you will see that there are some talented bread makers, making an extensive array of breads, all with hand-kneading:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2010/08/the_complete_bread_bible_inclu.html

So if you enjoy kneading by hand, there is really no reason to “upgrade” to a machine.

That said, the types of bread I make most often have a high water content (focaccia, brioche) and are very sticky.  Because they are so sticky, I prefer to mix them with my stand mixer.  But firmer doughs, such as fine-grained bread and pasta, I am quite happy to knead by hand, as it allows me to see how a dough feels and looks when it’s properly kneaded.

I use the mixer because I have it for other things (cakes, etc.).  But if you are just going to consider a machine solely for kneading bread, then the Zohirushi (sp?) bread machine does an excellent job of kneading.  But only use it for kneading, baking is superior in an oven.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 17 November 2010 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Nash, Welcome! I like to use the mixer because I can get good product results consistently. Interesting Topic. smile

Posted: 18 November 2010 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

You definitely don’t knead the machine. LOL
I prefer the results of hand kneading. Probably the best machine kneader is the MagicMill. The more common dough hook kneaders work fairly well. Food processors are the worst kneaders I think. I usually start dough in the machine and finish by hand.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 18 November 2010 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16
Gene - 18 November 2010 10:20 PM

Food processors are the worst kneaders I think.

I’m so glad you said that!!!

I have only tried making bread in the food processor a few times, but it has never been very successful for me.  I know it’s said that the gluten re-connects, but my FP breads never seem to have proper gluten development.  Maybe it’s just my machine.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 19 November 2010 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

I used to knead bread in the mixer, but I find it harder to clean the mixer bowl (everything sticky). So now I knead bread by hand. I find it fun and therapeutic. Plus it’s easier to clean my hands than the mixer bowl.
The only time I use the mixer would be when I make brioche - as it’s a VERY sticky dough, it’s easier to have the machine does it.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 27 January 2011 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-01-27

I use a KitchenAid with the dough hook.  I find the dough comes right off the hook, and I don’t have a tendency to put too much flour in my bread while kneading.