by hand 3
Total Votes: 9
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Kneading dough by machine.
Posted: 17 November 2010 06:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-11-17

I’m new on this site.  I have kneaded my whole wheat with honey sandwich bread by hand for the last 6 months. I live alone, no family, no entertaining etc. I make two loafs a week and its alright. But I am wondering if I would get a better loaf if I did it in a food possessor or a mixer to knead them with which I am thinking about buying one for that purpose. I would like a variety of points of view on if I would get better texture, rise etc with a machine. If you got an opinion and have done all three ways on which one please tell me why you like doing kneading with a possessor, mixer or by hand. Is one style better for one application or bread type over another? How many people do it by hand now of days? I wonder by not seeing it done on TV that doing it by hand is out of date these days. I could not find anything on the Internet on this subject.

Thanks in advance
                                                                                        ?Nash?

Posted: 17 November 2010 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Take a look at this post over on the blog, and you will see that there are some talented bread makers, making an extensive array of breads, all with hand-kneading:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2010/08/the_complete_bread_bible_inclu.html

So if you enjoy kneading by hand, there is really no reason to “upgrade” to a machine.

That said, the types of bread I make most often have a high water content (focaccia, brioche) and are very sticky.  Because they are so sticky, I prefer to mix them with my stand mixer.  But firmer doughs, such as fine-grained bread and pasta, I am quite happy to knead by hand, as it allows me to see how a dough feels and looks when it’s properly kneaded.

I use the mixer because I have it for other things (cakes, etc.).  But if you are just going to consider a machine solely for kneading bread, then the Zohirushi (sp?) bread machine does an excellent job of kneading.  But only use it for kneading, baking is superior in an oven.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 17 November 2010 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Nash, Welcome! I like to use the mixer because I can get good product results consistently. Interesting Topic. smile

Posted: 18 November 2010 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

You definitely don’t knead the machine. LOL
I prefer the results of hand kneading. Probably the best machine kneader is the MagicMill. The more common dough hook kneaders work fairly well. Food processors are the worst kneaders I think. I usually start dough in the machine and finish by hand.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 18 November 2010 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16
Gene - 18 November 2010 10:20 PM

Food processors are the worst kneaders I think.

I’m so glad you said that!!!

I have only tried making bread in the food processor a few times, but it has never been very successful for me.  I know it’s said that the gluten re-connects, but my FP breads never seem to have proper gluten development.  Maybe it’s just my machine.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 19 November 2010 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

I used to knead bread in the mixer, but I find it harder to clean the mixer bowl (everything sticky). So now I knead bread by hand. I find it fun and therapeutic. Plus it’s easier to clean my hands than the mixer bowl.
The only time I use the mixer would be when I make brioche - as it’s a VERY sticky dough, it’s easier to have the machine does it.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 27 January 2011 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-01-27

I use a KitchenAid with the dough hook.  I find the dough comes right off the hook, and I don’t have a tendency to put too much flour in my bread while kneading.