baking pies in advance
Posted: 20 November 2010 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-11-18

I have so many things to do the day of Thanksgiving, that I would like to be able to make the pies before the day of Thanksgiving. How far in advance can the pies be baked without sacrificing taste or texture? And, if baked in advance, should they be refrigerated, frozen, or left in room air?

Posted: 20 November 2010 11:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Depends on what kind of filling and what kind of crust.  What are you making?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 21 November 2010 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-11-18

Julie,  I am making a large apple pie… Thank you for your answer. I am using a pastry crust with, I hate to say it, Crisco!!

Posted: 21 November 2010 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Sadly, a flaky crust will not remain crisp very long once you bake the apples in it.  However, you can assemble the pie and freeze it, unbaked, then just pop it into the oven on Thanksgiving day.

Another alternative would be to blind bake the crust (no fruit in it) and cook the fruit stovetop (separate from the crust) one day ahead.  Then on Thanksgiving, just arrange the fruit in the crust, maybe brush on a glaze, and serve.

So sorry about the shortening crust, have you tried Rose’s cream cheese flaky crust?  The recipe is here:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2005/10/roses_favorite_flaky_tender_pi.html

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour