Ideas please?
Posted: 20 November 2010 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2010-11-20

I have recently taken up baking following a motorcycle accident that left me with a through elbow amputation of my right arm (previously right handed).
I find it a very slow, challenging but interesting and therapeutic i have managed to find a way round most hurdles but the thing i find most frustrating is getting ALL of the cake mixture from the bowl into the cake tin!
I would love to here any suggestions anyone may have.
Thank you
Regard’s Mark.

Posted: 20 November 2010 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

Welcome, Mark!

I think it’s great that you’re using baking to develop some left hand skills.  Not sure about the bowl scraping, maybe a spoonula (spatula shaped like a spoon), so that you can scrape the bowl and then scoop the batter out with the spoon?

Good luck!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 21 November 2010 07:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Hi Mark,
Sometimes I use a large measuring cup( mine are plastic for lightness and round) sprayed with Pam, to dip the batter into the cake pan. That’s what I do. smile

Posted: 21 November 2010 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2010-09-02

Hi Mark…Another option is using a plastic bench scraper to get the last batter out of the bowl.  The plastic bench scraper is a rectangular piece of stiff-but-flexible plastic with one long edge curved and beveled.  Its great for really getting everything out of the bowl (I hate leaving batter stuck to sides of the bowl) and also would be good for developing hand dexterity.  Some kitchen supply stores give them away with as advertising, but you can also order them from King Arthur Flour.  Good luck with your baking.  Your family, friends and co-workers are going to LOVE your new hobby!

Janet K

Posted: 23 November 2010 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-11-20

Thank you all for your ideas your time is appreciated grin

Posted: 24 November 2010 04:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2008-02-28

I saw this mixing bowl by Mastrad, which has a spout and sits on a base so it can be tilted.  One possibility might be to sit the base and bowl on a cooling rack so that you can position the spout above the pan.  But sadly I didn’t think to check if the base is non-slip.

Posted: 24 November 2010 05:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-28

Hmm wonder what happened to the pic in the previous post??

Oh and I’ve now checked the website, it does say the cover of the mixing bowl transforms into a non-slip base

Image Attachments
bowl-2.jpg

Posted: 24 November 2010 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-11-20
LIttleIsland - 24 November 2010 09:00 AM

Hmm wonder what happened to the pic in the previous post??

Oh and I’ve now checked the website, it does say the cover of the mixing bowl transforms into a non-slip base

That’s just the thing ive been looking for, what a find,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It doesn’t matter about it being non slip i have some non slip matting i put on my work surface for all the prep. Thank you littleIsland your a star!

Posted: 24 November 2010 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-28

So glad it was of help grin