Glass pie pans on hot baking stones?
Posted: 21 November 2010 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-01-04

I’m always torn when it comes to what to bake my pie in. I love that using glass allows me to SEE the progress of the pie crust, as well as makes it easier to transport (mine has handles). But, I like that when I cook in metal, I can place it directly on the hot baking stone and get almost instant crispy crust. I’m so afraid that a cold glass pan will shatter if on the stone.
Is there a way to get the “instant crisp” of baking directly on the stone, but still bake in my glass dish?

Posted: 22 November 2010 01:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

So long as you are not taking your glass dish from the freezer to the oven you will have not trouble using it on a baking stone.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 22 November 2010 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

I have successfully baked a pie frozen in a pyrex dish by taking it from the freezer, dipping the bottom in warm tap water for about one minute, then putting it into the hot oven.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 22 November 2010 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-01-04

Thanks, it will be frozen first. Maybe I’ll try the hot water…

Posted: 23 November 2010 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

You could also line the pie plate with plastic wrap before freezing.  Once the pie is completely frozen, take it out of the pie plate and wrap really well in plastic wrap and foil.  When your ready to bake, unwrap the frozen pie and place it back into the pie plate.  This way, you can still use your pie plate for other uses.  Just another idea for you.  smile