UPDATE!!!  G&B Cocoa Powder Discontinued in US—If you see it, BUY IT NOW!!!
Posted: 23 November 2010 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

The store here in Charlotte where I used to buy it carries it no more.  I’ve been browsing around for it on the internet, but to no avail.  Even Chocosphere doesn’t have it.

Anyone know if something is up?  Know where to find it?  Know what’s good if I can’t get any of it, FER PETE’S SAKE??

Thanks!

—ak

Posted: 23 November 2010 11:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2010-01-16

What a coincidence!  I was going to post this same question.  I have been calling all of the stores in St. Louis looking for Green & Black’s Cocoa Powder and have not found it anywhere!  I am so frustrated that a city of this size doesn’t have one place carrying this cocoa.  Green & Black’s website is very out of date showing stores that carry their brand.  Has anyone found it at a store that is located nationwide?

Posted: 23 November 2010 11:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

I’m in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada and I’ve been frustrated by how many ingredients I’ve had difficulty getting my hands on.  I’m sure I’ve placed half a dozen posts about—where can I find???  Your best bet may be to Special Order the G&B’s cocoa.  I found that small health food stores are often willing to do this, provided you would be willing to order a case, for instance.  Btw, a dozen 125g individually sealed G&B’s cocoa containers aren’t the worst investment as you don’t have to open a large container and have it spoil.  Usually what I do is start looking for places that carry their chocolate/other products then see if they can order it in.  The other tactic I use is contacting bakeries and businesses that may use the product and see if they would sell a small portion of a product (praline paste for instance). 

The cocoa is fabulous and one of those things that make a huge difference.  All the grocery stores carry are low-fat cocoa’s which result in a dry cake (I finally made the delicious and MOIST chocolate fudge cake with Green and Blacks—it finally turned out!!!)  I’m becoming such an ingredient snob, but that’s because the right ingredients make all the difference! 

Now, to find places that carry high fat butter…40% whipping cream….magic line pans (in stock, in my town so I can get one at a whim)...the gorgeous Williams Sonoma only Nordic ware pan I want….Lueke silicone pans…the list continues to grow… (I draw the line at excessive shipping costs!!)

Posted: 23 November 2010 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I’m in Canada too Sherrie and I have had problems as well with finding ingredients and supplies.  Still trying to find somewhere where I can get praline paste and hazelnut paste in Ontario.  I have looked at few places on line in the US, but the shipping costs just as much or more for the paste.
I gave up on the Lueke silicone pans and bought ones made by Paderno World Cuisine.  I haven’t tried them yet, hopefully they will give me good results.

Posted: 24 November 2010 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

I regularly stock three cocoas- Green & Black’s, for things that absolutely need the perfect balance of chocolate with other flavors:  cakes that enhance chocolate with nuts, the shiny glaze from RHC, etc. 

For cakes that are straight chocolate and I want a little stronger chocolate flavor, I love E. Guittard’s cocoa rouge (which is full fat- 23%, I checked with the company).  This is the cocoa I often use for the RHC deep choc passion cake, where there’s no butter to intensify the chocolate and I want a deeper, perhaps slightly bitter but complex cocoa.

And for Genoise au chocolate, I actually like to use Equal Exchange, which is a low fat cocoa, because it gives what is normally a fairly mild cake a stronger flavor than the full fat cocoas.  This is also my choice for kids’ hot chocolate.

The Bensdorpf from King Arthur also works well, though I don’t like the flavor as much as Guittard, which is a close second to G&B.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 24 November 2010 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Update!  I just called G&B (1-877 299 1254), and they confirmed that their unsweetened cocoa powder (and their ice cream) has been discontinued in the U.S.!!! 

If your store has any, snap it up, because it’s the last of it!

I told them how it is beloved—and promoted in Rose’s books.  They asked if I’d like to be notified if they decide to dis-discontinue it, so I got on that email list.

Julie —MANY THANKS for the cocoa rouge info!  I just saw that the other night at Sur La Table and was wondering about it, so I guess it’s going to be my new cocoa powder!

Posted: 24 November 2010 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

P.S.  Any thoughts on Droste (esp vs. Guittard rouge)—it’s also available locally.  Thanks!

Posted: 24 November 2010 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2007-11-05

poor G & B! the best things they had going for them were the cocoa powder and the white chocolate with vanilla bean. one down…..

i haven’t tried the guittard rouge but i do like droste’s.

Posted: 24 November 2010 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

one down?..

Make that two down!  Their white chocolate strawberry ice cream was ... OMG ... well, just the thought of it thrills my being (quote from Doris Day there from ‘On Moonlight Bay’), and I haven’t had it for about 3 years (had it in PA—can’t get it here, either).

Thanks for the vote of confidence on Droste!  I’ll have to get some if it AND Guittard.  Can never have too much good chocolate…

Posted: 24 November 2010 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1330
Joined  2008-09-27
Anne in NC - 24 November 2010 05:11 PM

P.S.  Any thoughts on Droste (esp vs. Guittard rouge)—it’s also available locally.  Thanks!

CI rated Callebaut the best; I order a couple of pounds of it on a regular basis.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 24 November 2010 09:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25
Liza - 24 November 2010 03:52 AM

Still trying to find somewhere where I can get praline paste and hazelnut paste in Ontario.  I have looked at few places on line in the US, but the shipping costs just as much or more for the paste.

Liza, I may be able to help you with praline paste!

I believe there is a place in Ontario called Klara Johnsons and I was going to order Praline Paste from there if I couldn’t find it locally. 
http://klarajohnsons.com/cgi-bin/online/storepro.php

They had 2 types light (41% hazelnut and 49% sugar—not sure what happened to the other 10%) and dark that also contained cocoa.  I’m not sure of the quality.  It was $7.99 per 250 g when I inquired earlier in the year.  She said the product is from Germany.

Posted: 25 November 2010 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

I was looking for it.  I noticed my store didn’t have it and thought I must have bought it in a different store. This stinks!

Posted: 26 November 2010 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2010-01-16

Too bad about G&B’s cocoa powder being discontinued.  Anne, thanks for calling and finding out the information!  At least we know it isn’t an option anymore and should look for replacements.

Posted: 26 November 2010 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

Yes, Anne, thank you! I should have said that sooner   red face

Posted: 25 October 2012 10:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  153
Joined  2007-11-21

Hi - I realized that my two remaining tubs of G&B cocoa powder were dated 2/12/12, so decided I needed to replace for the new cake I was making and those ahead. None in this city. Amazon has it, but delivery is not until November 28+. so I canceled the order I had made—Then, 4 hours later I have just limped back to Amazon in huge fear that there was none left. I got lucky. For four hours I had scoured every website on the globe. I think this 4-pak I got comes from Australia.
I also had a problem obtaining Valrhona in San Antonio. It used to be carried even in bulk at Whole Foods and another large market here in San Antonio, but I could not even find it in the 60-62% bittersweet that I needed. So, I finally went to Valrhona site and found it in 61% and also the 35% white, Ivoire.
Needless to say, my husband thinks I have gone ‘round the bend - $150 worth of chocolate, incl. shipping.” Why can’t you just use Hershey’s?”  Oh well.
red face

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com

‹‹ Ideas please?      chocolate wafer cookies ››