having a problem with the focaccia
Posted: 25 November 2010 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-11-25

every time we try to make the rosemary focaccia in the bread bible, we find that the “coming together in a smooth shiny ball” takes wayyyy more than the 20 minutes, and sometimes doesn’t even happen, even though we can see the change in texture.  this morning’s attempt had the mixer going for 75 minutes at speed 4.  some other facts - we live in miami, although the kitchen has no windows and is the coolest place in the apartment.  the flour and the yeast are all fresh. 

i can’t think that’s normal, so anyone have any ideas?  lower the water? raise the speed on the mixer?

thanks

Posted: 25 November 2010 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1330
Joined  2008-09-27
rona - 25 November 2010 03:00 PM

every time we try to make the rosemary focaccia in the bread bible, we find that the “coming together in a smooth shiny ball” takes wayyyy more than the 20 minutes, and sometimes doesn’t even happen, even though we can see the change in texture.  this morning’s attempt had the mixer going for 75 minutes at speed 4.  some other facts - we live in miami, although the kitchen has no windows and is the coolest place in the apartment.  the flour and the yeast are all fresh. 

i can’t think that’s normal, so anyone have any ideas?  lower the water? raise the speed on the mixer?

thanks

According to Rose’s directions, the “coming together” and “smooth shiny ball” are two separate stages.  The “coming together” should take about 3 minutes, but the transformation into a “smooth shiny ball” about 20.  Which one isn’t working for you?  Are you using the paddle? Are you weighing your ingredients?

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 25 November 2010 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-11-25

The smooth shiny ball isn’t working.  We’re using the paddle and weighing everything.  so something else isn’t right.

I will say that the focaccia doubled nicely, and baked beautifully.  So maybe it just takes longer in this climate?

Posted: 26 November 2010 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

I’m wondering if your flour has enough gluten- what brand are you using?

Perhaps your flour is a bit more moist than in other areas of the country due to the humid climate?  If you have ruled out the gluten content issue, perhaps try a little less water, maybe 5-10g?

And remember, the shiny ball after 20” of beating isn’t a firm ball, it is like melted mozzarella- smooth and flowing but holding together in a cohesive mass.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls