1 of 2
Thanksgiving Baking
Posted: 26 November 2010 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

So this year My contribution was a Black forest cake, Yellow cupcakes with “Bill’s Buttercream” ,Chocolate cupcakes with white chocolate mousseline, and a blueberry pie (that erupted a bit in the oven).  What did everyone else bake?

Image Attachments
rsz_black_forest.jpgrsz_cupcakes.jpgrsz_pie.jpg

Posted: 26 November 2010 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

Bill, everything looks delicious!  I usually bake for every party.  This holiday my parents told me to “Relax, don’t bring anything, we have enough of everthing.”  So I listened:)

Posted: 26 November 2010 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

My family never says:  Relax we have everything.  Never LOL

Posted: 26 November 2010 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2009-09-13

Oh Bill
you are someone I admire. I remember when you talked about how tiny your New York City apartment is. Didn’t you also show us a photo of your counter? You inspire me.

Posted: 26 November 2010 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4803
Joined  2008-04-16

Bill, those look wonderful- were they really purple, or is that just from your lighting/camera?  The swirls on your black forest and on your cupcakes look so pristine and perfect, just lovely.  So happy you posted, I always enjoy seeing your things so very much. smile

What did we bake?  We had cherry pie (which I posted here: http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/2930/ ), and for the first time this year I also used some of Rose’s savory recipes, the rolled Turkey breast roast and chestnut/sausage stuffing from Rose’s Celebrations.  I absolutely loved doing the roast, since our celebration was early we had just our family so the smaller roast was perfectly sized.  And the stuffing may just have converted me into a stuffing lover (which I have never been).

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 27 November 2010 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Gorgeous, Bill!  All 3!  Pies always look so pretty, I think, when they bubble over a little.  That black forest makes me crazy—you can tell it’s like heaven on a plate.  Cuppies, of course, as cute as can be!

Posted: 27 November 2010 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  146
Joined  2010-03-30

I made, essentially, the entire dinner.  What can I say?  I like my own cooking. wink  For dessert, we had pumpkin pie made with fresh pumpkin.  Usually I make Rose’s pumpkin pie, but this recipe was actually the losing recipe from Bobby Flay’s Throwdown on the Food Network.  It’s topped with maple whipped cream.

Image Attachments
Pumpkin pie slice.jpg

Posted: 28 November 2010 04:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Bill, those cupcakes look heavenly.  Can’t quite come up with the right words for it, but the frosting looks so billowy and satiny, just the perfect texture!!  I did the Chestnut Sand cake from TCB and the Lemon Meringue Cake from RHC to appease all the lemon lovers in the family, but I wasn’t hosting.  For Christmas, I’ll be hosting, so I’ll have to do something I can make ahead…maybe the Lemon Canadian Crown again (though it would be a repeat from an event in September), or the Pumpkin Cheesecake…

Posted: 28 November 2010 08:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Baker JD, that’s one lovely slice of pie!

Loopy, your baking sounds wonderful- I love the thought of a light lemon dessert after a large, traditional meal. 

Just a thought- if you’re looking for a make-ahead lemon dessert, the Lemon Chiffon Pie from the Pie/Pastry Bible can be completely finished and then frozen, so that all you need to do on serving day is defrost.  If you include the optional whipped cream border, and you want to freeze it, stabilize the border with gelatin instead of using plain whipped cream (or else pipe the border just before serving).  I just started making this for a party in a couple of weeks.  I’m doing the almond sugar crust option, but the lemon bavarian filling for that pie would also be wonderful as a charlotte.

Signature 

Posted: 28 November 2010 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Bill, everything looks wonderful.  Your black forest cake is stunning! And cupcakes are worth making anytime of year.  Who can resist them?  Don’t worry about the split in the pie,  it gives it character smile  and I am sure it tasted wonderful.

BakerJD,

You pie looks like a perfect ending for a Thanksgiving dinner.  The maple whipped cream sounds heavenly with the pie.  By the way, what is the topping that is on top of the pie?  It almost looks like struesel topping.

Posted: 30 November 2010 04:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Julie, thank you for the Lemon Chiffon pie idea!  Was wondering—if you use the crispy meringue shell, can you really freeze that beforehand??  I’m thinking the texture would be all mushy afterward (like those frozen lemon meringue pies you buy at the store).  I love the idea of the lemon chiffon filling in the meringue crust, but am scratching my head over the do-aheadness of it…thanks!

Posted: 30 November 2010 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Julie, are you saying that you can freeze cakes (etc.) made with gelitan-stabilized whipped cream fillings/toppings?  If so, you have opened up a whole new world for me!

Posted: 30 November 2010 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Loopy, I’m making the pate sucree version, listed as an option in the ingredient box, just because I’m not an egg-white/meringue person.  But from reading the recipe, I do think that the finished pie (excluding the non-stabilized whipped cream border) can be frozen for up to six weeks, as per Rose’s guidelines. 

I’m hoping to finish mine tomorrow and defrost/serve a week later, I’ll try to get a picture so I can post the results.  I’m going to try stabilizing the whipped cream border so that I can freeze that, too.

Signature 

Posted: 30 November 2010 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Anne, you definitely can freeze cakes that are frosted with whipped cream that has been stabilized with gelatin (see the strawberry maria) or chocolate (like white ganache or light whipped ganache).  I’m not so sure about freezing a bowl with gelatin-stabilized whipped cream and then defrosting and trying to frost or pipe with it- I don’t think that works very well.  But I use gelatin-stabilized whipped cream to frost an ice cream cake every year for my daughter’s birthday, works perfectly.

Signature 

Posted: 30 November 2010 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Hi All.  Thanks for all your kind compliments…I’ve been away for a few days and couldn’t keep up with all the messages.  Hope everyone had a wonderful thanksgiving.  It looks like we’ve all been in the kitchen a lot!

Posted: 30 November 2010 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Julie!  That is great news!!!  Yeah, I dig about not freezing a bowl—I was definitely after the freezing the completed cake.  So I could slice and freeze something like, say, Bill’s beautiful Black Forest Cake if I gelitan-stabilized the whipped cream layers?? If so, OMG, be still my heart!!!!!  Thank you! 

Loop!  Your family is so lucky that you will be hosting Christmas!  I’m very excited to hear about the wonderful delites you will be making!  What did you frost the Chestnut Sand with?  As you know, I loooovvveee that cake.  I’ll have to make a lemon curd cake for an early 2011 birthday.  All of your lemon efforts are inspiring me!!!!

BakerJD!  I’ve watched that show a few times when we had cable for about 6 months, and thought several times that the losing recipe looked the best.  I recall some ravioli quite vividly, in fact.  Your pumpkin pie sounds really yummy, and the topping has a magnetic effect on my—I keep shifting over to it.  It must have nuts!!!  Any other BakerJD specialties in the dinner????

1 of 2