chocolate wafer cookies
Posted: 26 November 2010 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2010-01-24

I gave a recipe to a friend that lives in North Carolina. The recipe calls for chocolate wafer cookies. She wasn’t able to find that in the States. Does anyone know what would be an equivalent she could use? It is for a Pumpkin Tiramisu. You dip the plain chocolate wafers in a vanilla syrup and they are layered between a pumpkin spice/cream cheese/whipping cream mixture. (She’s not a big baker so making her own is not really an option)

Posted: 26 November 2010 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1355
Joined  2008-09-27
Heidi - 26 November 2010 03:55 PM

I gave a recipe to a friend that lives in North Carolina. The recipe calls for chocolate wafer cookies. She wasn’t able to find that in the States. Does anyone know what would be an equivalent she could use? It is for a Pumpkin Tiramisu. You dip the plain chocolate wafers in a vanilla syrup and they are layered between a pumpkin spice/cream cheese/whipping cream mixture. (She’s not a big baker so making her own is not really an option)

I made these and they worked very well:

http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/03/homemade-chocolate-wafers-icebox-cupcakes/

Oh, sorry, just noticed you said she wasn’t a baker.  The rough equivalent is a product by Nabisco which is intended for the purpose you describe:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A18114-2004Jul27.html

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 27 November 2010 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2010-01-24

thanks for the info. I will send the recipe to my friend. I doubt that she will make them but I will definitely try the recipe.
The Nabisco product in the Washington Post article is exactly what we use here for the recipe but just like the person who wrote the article,  my friend hasn’t been able to find that product in the USA either.

Posted: 27 November 2010 12:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1355
Joined  2008-09-27
Heidi - 27 November 2010 04:26 AM

my friend hasn’t been able to find that product in the USA either.

I used them about a year ago, so they still exist.  You might suggest to your friend to ask a store employee, because they sometimes are not kept with the cookies.  The recipe I gave, by the way, makes a much better cookie.  I used them as crust on a cheesecake and people just thought they were wonderful.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 27 November 2010 10:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  146
Joined  2010-03-30

Can you use the chocolate wafer that is the outside part of an Oreo?

Posted: 28 November 2010 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-11-16

As I understand it, NABISCO only makes their Famous Chocolate Wafers for the Thanksgiving and Christmas Holidays.  Stock up now; they freeze well.

Posted: 25 October 2012 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  153
Joined  2007-11-21

Hi - I just happened to see your post: Try Nabisco’s Famous Chocolate Wafers - they are great, very thin about 2.5”. I use them for pie crust sometimes.

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com