Which Stand Mixer ?
Posted: 27 November 2010 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2009-10-19

I have a 4 1/2 qt Kitchenaid stand mixer but need to get a larger size so I can make larger batches of bread dough.  I also want to be able to whip egg whites, etc.  The 6 qt/5 qt Kitchenaids and the Bosch have varied reviews (I would love a Hobarth if it was affordable).  The 5 qt Viking sounds good though.  Can experienced people offer their opinions (I reside in the US).  Thanks.

Posted: 27 November 2010 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2009-10-19

Also, what about the Electrolux - is it good, why is it described by users as hard to get the hang of ?

Posted: 29 November 2010 12:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2008-01-14

I bought an Electrolux 2 months ago and I’m VERY happy with it.  I make bread constantly and that proved to be too much for my KA 600 Pro, which broke as a result.  IMHO, if you’re a frequent bread baker and working with stiffer bread doughs (like Rose’s Jewish Rye), you’re eventually going to run into a problem using KA, Viking, or Cuisinart machines. 

I didn’t find the Electrolux hard to operate ~ it’s just an entirely different set-up from what most people are used to.  The one criticism I read (and I confirmed when I received it) is the operating manual isn’t great but I still managed to figure it out.  It’s a powerful machine and it easily handled a double batch of dough that taxed my KA to the max.

Pros: Huge work bowl, attachments can be washed in the dishwasher, and it has a lower profile than other stand mixers so it’s easier to store.
Cons: I personally prefer the spiral dough hook on my KA to the C-shaped hook on the Electrolux….but that’s the only “drawback” I’ve found…so far.

I also haven’t used it for anything but bread so I have no idea how it handles cake batter and whipping egg whites.  My husband managed to fix my KA so I do all my non-bread mixing in that.

Posted: 29 November 2010 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2008-01-14
CharlesT - 29 November 2010 05:07 AM

Sarah, what issues do you have with the C hook?  I understand that it didn’t work well on the KAs.

I think the spiral is a bit more efficient than the C-hook.  Having said that, both get the job done and I haven’t noticed my bread has suffered at all from using a C-Hook.

Posted: 13 December 2010 01:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-12-11

If you can find a Hobart C-100 10 quart professional mixer in running order for a reasonable price, latch on to it. It is a joy to own. My Dad’s went for a very reasonable price in ‘98 at a country auction after he fell ill and he and Mom had to downsize. That was 20 miles east of Peoria, IL and I was at home in California. I got mine at work during a downsizing. All it cost me was the re-tinning of the kettle and the whip and a little elbow grease.