Which Stand Mixer ?
Posted: 27 November 2010 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2009-10-19

I have a 4 1/2 qt Kitchenaid stand mixer but need to get a larger size so I can make larger batches of bread dough.  I also want to be able to whip egg whites, etc.  The 6 qt/5 qt Kitchenaids and the Bosch have varied reviews (I would love a Hobarth if it was affordable).  The 5 qt Viking sounds good though.  Can experienced people offer their opinions (I reside in the US).  Thanks.

Posted: 27 November 2010 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2009-10-19

Also, what about the Electrolux - is it good, why is it described by users as hard to get the hang of ?

Posted: 27 November 2010 11:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1330
Joined  2008-09-27
stix - 28 November 2010 02:28 AM

Also, what about the Electrolux - is it good, why is it described by users as hard to get the hang of ?

I am lusting after the Electrolux. I have a feeling that I will break down within the next 6 months and buy it.  My KA has plenty of power, but the 5 1/2 quart bowl is about at capacity with some of my double batches.

The reviews of the Electrolux have uniformly good and there seems no question that it’s a more powerful machine for bread dough than any other consumer-oriented mixer.  From what I’ve read, what I think the new user might find puzzling is the interaction between the scraper and the roller, which requires some fiddling depending on the quantity and characteristics of the dough.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 27 November 2010 11:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I have the cuisinart 7 quart mixer.  I really like it.  I can easily make a double batch of mousseline buttercream in it with room to spare.  It whips up egg whites like a dream.  I have done all kinds of cookie doughs in it, from very moist to very dry, as well as all kinds of cake batter with no problems.  I haven’t make any bread dough in it yet though.  But I am extremely happy with it.

Posted: 27 November 2010 11:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Liza - 28 November 2010 03:42 AM

I haven’t make any bread dough in it yet though.  But I am extremely happy with it.

The Amazon reviews on it have been mixed (sorry) when kneading bread.  Many have reported mixer failure.  It appears that it’s not as powerful as its wattage would suggest.  The price is less than half of the Electrolux, though.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 28 November 2010 08:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Well,  I’m not really a bread maker.  So for what I use it for it is fine.  I usually only make biscuits and I do that by hand.  I suppose if I really wanted to make bread I would do it by hand.

Posted: 28 November 2010 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4743
Joined  2008-04-16

Re: the Viking- a couple of years back there were some reviews that talk about the mixers being plagued with troubles, I think they were breaking down a lot.  Perhaps they have fixed it by now? 

My KA 6 quart professional seems to do pretty well, except that I think it’s absolutely crazy that the standard attachments that come with the machine are hand-wash only, is that still the case?

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 28 November 2010 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Julie - 28 November 2010 12:19 PM

crazy that the standard attachments that come with the machine are hand-wash only, is that still the case?

Still the case on mine, which is about 3 years old.  It will probably always be true as long as the standard attachments are cast aluminum.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 29 November 2010 12:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2008-01-14

I bought an Electrolux 2 months ago and I’m VERY happy with it.  I make bread constantly and that proved to be too much for my KA 600 Pro, which broke as a result.  IMHO, if you’re a frequent bread baker and working with stiffer bread doughs (like Rose’s Jewish Rye), you’re eventually going to run into a problem using KA, Viking, or Cuisinart machines. 

I didn’t find the Electrolux hard to operate ~ it’s just an entirely different set-up from what most people are used to.  The one criticism I read (and I confirmed when I received it) is the operating manual isn’t great but I still managed to figure it out.  It’s a powerful machine and it easily handled a double batch of dough that taxed my KA to the max.

Pros: Huge work bowl, attachments can be washed in the dishwasher, and it has a lower profile than other stand mixers so it’s easier to store.
Cons: I personally prefer the spiral dough hook on my KA to the C-shaped hook on the Electrolux….but that’s the only “drawback” I’ve found…so far.

I also haven’t used it for anything but bread so I have no idea how it handles cake batter and whipping egg whites.  My husband managed to fix my KA so I do all my non-bread mixing in that.

Posted: 29 November 2010 01:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
SarahM - 29 November 2010 04:21 AM

I personally prefer the spiral dough hook on my KA to the C-shaped hook on the Electrolux….but that’s the only “drawback” I’ve found…so far.

Sarah, what issues do you have with the C hook?  I understand that it didn’t work well on the KAs.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 29 November 2010 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2008-01-14
CharlesT - 29 November 2010 05:07 AM

Sarah, what issues do you have with the C hook?  I understand that it didn’t work well on the KAs.

I think the spiral is a bit more efficient than the C-hook.  Having said that, both get the job done and I haven’t noticed my bread has suffered at all from using a C-Hook.

Posted: 13 December 2010 01:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-12-11

If you can find a Hobart C-100 10 quart professional mixer in running order for a reasonable price, latch on to it. It is a joy to own. My Dad’s went for a very reasonable price in ‘98 at a country auction after he fell ill and he and Mom had to downsize. That was 20 miles east of Peoria, IL and I was at home in California. I got mine at work during a downsizing. All it cost me was the re-tinning of the kettle and the whip and a little elbow grease.

Posted: 22 December 2010 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07
Julie - 28 November 2010 12:19 PM

Re: the Viking- a couple of years back there were some reviews that talk about the mixers being plagued with troubles, I think they were breaking down a lot.  Perhaps they have fixed it by now? 

My KA 6 quart professional seems to do pretty well, except that I think it’s absolutely crazy that the standard attachments that come with the machine are hand-wash only, is that still the case?

I have that mixer too and love it.  I purchased the stainless steel 11-prong whip attachment. Being stainless steel, it can go in the dishwasher.  KA does make a coated flat beater blade which is dishwasher safe.

I returned the 11-prong whip attachment because, after one use, there was deep scratches up the sides of the bowl. I am very anal about my things being kept in pristine condition.  I called KA and they told me that CAN happen and is considered normal wear.