Adjustable Flan
Posted: 03 December 2010 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

I read that Rose uses this to measure and cut pie crusts. 

Does anyone know where I can find one?

Thank you,

~missy

Posted: 06 December 2010 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

I don’t use one, but I googled it and found this one:  http://www.fantes.com/flan.html

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 06 December 2010 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

Thank you very much, Julie.  How do you cut and measure your pie crusts? That is the reason I am looking for an adjustable flan

Posted: 06 December 2010 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

I ease the rolled dough into the pie or tart pan, then trim according to what type of edge I want to make.  Rose cuts the circle before she puts it in the pan, which is easier, but then you have to get the dough centered almost perfectly when you put it in the pan, which is harder.  So, six of one, half dozen of the other.  Full disclosure:  I also sometimes use pans that aren’t the perfect size for the recipe, so that is another reason to cut the dough after it’s in the pan, in case I need a slightly different size or height of border.

Signature 

Posted: 06 December 2010 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

Thank you Julie.  I’ll try it your way first. Do you use the silicone mats to determine size?

Posted: 07 December 2010 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Since I was making pies long before I got the Pie/Pastry Bible, I have a few things that I do when making crusts that work for me but might be a little different than the exact details Rose uses.  Old habits die hard smile

To see if I’ve rolled the pastry large enough, I normally measure the pan (from top edge down to the bottom, across the bottom and up the other side) to get the right diameter, and then leave the tape measure spread out just above the rolling aread so I can see when I’ve reached something a little larger than that size.  I’ve also discovered that using pastry rings (little rubber bands that you put on your rolling pin to make the dough uniform thickness) normally results in a circle of roughly the right size, as Rose’s quantities are so well-calculated to the pan sizes she uses.  And it’s just as important (if not more so) to have the pastry the right thickness, so it will bake properly (too thick, and it might not be crispy, too thin, and it may be too dark).

I normally have my pie pan chilled in the refrigerator before rolling, so that gives me a little extra time/cooling of the dough for trimming and forming the edge.

I’ve thought about getting the pastry mat that Rose recommends, as I do like the thought of the circles marked on the mat, but just haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Signature 

Posted: 07 December 2010 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

Thank you.  Those are really helpful tips.  I’ll start cooling the pan the next time I bake a pie and I will try measuring the way you suggest. 

I am always amazed byRose’s quantities. They are always so exact, I find I scrape every last drop of batter out of the bowl and the cake rises to the tippy-top of the pan and no further.  It is really amazing!