I’m back…Just in time to share my son’s candy themed birthday cake! (TCB’s Sour Cream Butter Cake)
Posted: 06 December 2010 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-04-11

Hello Everyone!

Long time no see! I told some of you I was headed for a move overseas, and overseas we are! It took a long time to get internet hooked up and get settled into our villa here but things are now starting to feel “normal” again. My son turned 3 a week ago, I made him a cake with a classic candy theme, since he kept asking for “Birthday Cake” when I asked him what he wanted his cake to look like! lol So here it is! I used Rose’s Sour Cream Butter Cake recipe from The Cake Bible. Ahhhhh…
I soaked the layers in a Rose’s Simple Rum Syrup wink It was fantastic! The filling was a classic milk chocolate ganache, and iced with buttercream and fondant with all fondant decorations/accents. This is the first time I’ve made this particular cake from TCB and I love it so much! I noticed there is a cupcake recipe in RHC that is this recipe’s clone except for the inclusion of whole eggs instead of yolks only. I tried making it both ways in my 8 inch pans and found it interesting that the one with whole eggs cracked slightly and didn’t rise as much as the yolks only recipe! Luckily I had time to experiment, and now I know it is certainly worth the extra effort to use recipes with yolks only or whites only instead of taking my usual easy route of whole egg. So fun, and the color was incredible and rich. Just perfect!

Thank you Rose for making my son’s cake a success! wink Finally a yellow recipe I adore and don’t have to babysit in the oven as much. It baked so perfectly and was so nice and level!

Image Attachments
cakecandy.jpgcutcake.jpgtopcake.jpg
 Signature 

http://www.vanillaexpressions.com

Posted: 06 December 2010 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

That is a beautiful, beautiful cake!  That is such an understatement.  I love the 3 and the little circle of candies around the bottom, and teh “icing” fondant.  The colors are all so pretty together.  The sliced cake looks luscious!

I’m glad to hear you are overseas, settled in, and reconnected!!!

Posted: 06 December 2010 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Welcome back Jemoiselle! Glad to hear the move was okay and you’re all settled and hooked up (internet-wise).

Happy birthday to your son. That is a really cute cake. Love the colorful decorations! Are the colorful balls around the cake fondant? Or is it candy?

I haven’t made that particular cake from TCB but glad to hear the combo work well with milk chocolate ganache. Which buttercream did you use to ice the cake?

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 06 December 2010 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

Welcome back!  Glad you’re getting settled in. 

Gorgeous cake, your son must have been thrilled with it!  It’s a very festive and inspired design.  So happy you posted, it’s fun to see smile.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 06 December 2010 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-11

@Anne—Thank you so much! You are too sweet! I am SO glad to be reconnected too, was a long time without you all!

@Jenn—Yes those little balls are fondant wink I haven’t been brave enough to try any of Rose’s buttercreams or mousselines with my fondant, I am so afraid they (read: me) might ruin my smooth finish in the fondant. I am so used to using the standard wilton style part shortening part butter buttercreams to adhere my fondants I wouldn’t know where to begin using anything thinner! I will say this one came from Cakecentral.com, an awesome lady named Indydebi. Thanks for the baby birthday wishes! He says “Thank you!”. Oh yes, milk chocolate ganache and this cake was amazing! Thanks for the warm welcome back, I’m glad to hear from you again!

@Julie—Thanks for the welcome back my friend and for the comments! It’s so nice to hear from you again, too! I cannot wait to see what all I’ve missed! Feels like for-e-ver! I’m lucky you all even remember me lol.

Signature 

Posted: 06 December 2010 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2009-10-01

I was wondering how your move went. Glad to hear you’re settled. Also, did you make the big cake for the military event? If you told us about it, I missed it.

Posted: 07 December 2010 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Absolutely beautiful!  I wish I could decorate a cake like that (and the sour cream cake is my favorite)

Posted: 07 December 2010 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

Your cake is stunning!

It’s nice to meet you and I hope to read some more of your posts and see your incredible creations

Posted: 09 December 2010 03:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-11

Hey knit1bake1! Nice to hear from you again too! Thanks for chiming in, awww you remembered smile Yep the move went well, we’re all settled in safe and sound. I actually decided to politely and graciously decline the request to make that cake. It would have been the biggest I’ve ever made, and with the move fast approaching and the risk of making a huge cake for a warm and windy airplane hangar looming over me, I just decided it was better to put off something that critical before I absolutely knew I was ready. I would have been mortified if something had gone wrong and I let down hundreds of people that my Husband works for! lol I am quickly learning though that Rose’s recipes really can be trusted if you take the time to read the beginning of the books for tips and basic knowledge to go with the recipes. I have since learned SO much about turning out a good reliable cake, even breads are behaving differently for me now! Rose is truly a blessing to this household wink In fact, I just finished making her Soft White Sandwich Loaf and oh my gosh, it is the best bread I have ever made. I have made more bread than even my cakes, so that says alot.

I am so happy to be back, I’ve really missed you all! Hey Bill! Nice to see you again! Hey, I have seen your cakes too and they are fantastic! I find fondant work easier than the skills of a good piped cake anyday…I would love to learn how to make piped cakes like yours! Trade someday? It’d GREAT to hear from you too my friend!

Missyjean, thank you so much! I will be posting when I can, and am looking forward to seeing your work as well. Everyone here is so gosh darn talented!!!

<3 you all!
Jessie aka Jemoiselle

Signature 

Posted: 09 December 2010 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Jemoiselle,
Welcome back. Your cake is lovely and the fondant work is so amazing! Can’t wait to see and hear more.  smile

Posted: 10 December 2010 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Jemoiselle,

So happy to hear that your move went well and that you are settling into your new home.  I couldn’t imagine trying to pack up everything I own and move.  It is surprising how much stuff you collect over the years LOL

Your cake is beautifully decorated and I’m so happy everyone was thrilled with the taste.

Where abouts overseas are you now?

Posted: 10 December 2010 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2010-10-06

what a lovey and cute cake smile every kid would want to have it ...

Posted: 14 December 2010 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1184
Joined  2009-11-24

Such beautiful work, so professional looking!!!

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 20 December 2010 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Beautiful cake!!  Where did you move?  Are you having any problems finding all of the right ingredients?  Doesn’t appear so, from the looks of your cake!!

Posted: 31 December 2010 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2008-02-28

What a pretty, fun-looking cake!  I’ll bet your son LOVED it.