Newbie with a question
Posted: 06 December 2010 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2010-11-29

Hi all,
I’m new to the site and pretty much new to baking, but I have three of RLB’s books, and after a visit to my dad who is one of her biggest fans, I decided to give it a whirl. Frustrated because I don’t have all the equipment I need so am remedying that.

Here’s the first question and don’t laugh! How long does it take for refrigerated ingredients to come to room temperature? I read that you can speed the process for eggs by placing them in warm tap water for 2 minutes. Somehow I feel my baking will have to be on the weekend because after work there just won’t be time enough to get room temp, cake to cool for frosting, blah blah. On the other hand, I can’t wait to get started!

Second question: I’m a bit intimidated by some of the reviews of RLB’s books I’ve read on Amazon that complain that if you don’t follow all instructions to the letter, you will fail. Well of course I want to be as careful as possible but is there any leeway at all? If I WEIGH the ingredients and make sure about room temp, etc, and follow the instructions as well as I can, how far can I go wrong? I mean, how hard can it BE?? It’s not rocket science, but it IS scientific smile

Posted: 06 December 2010 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2010-09-16

Hello from a fellow newbie!  : )  Just want to add that even when I make a mistake…which is usually at least once per cake…it may not be what it is supposed to be, but they always turn out delicious!  I’ve found it a wonderful challenge to try to perfect her recipes.  I find I learn so much every time I screw up.  It took 5 times to get the classic genoise right.  Good luck!

Posted: 09 December 2010 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-11-29

Well I did make the golden buttercream cake yesterday (for my birthday) and it came out great! My oven may have had a temperature issue so next time I will set it a bit lower. (I did use a thermometer and compensated, but not enough, I think.) I used cake strips and it seemed to take the middle of the cake a very long time to get done.

I did cut my butter into large pats, but it still seemed to take longer than I thought it should (although it’s been VERY cold here this week) - I’ll try smaller pieces next time.

I think I have an instant read thermometer - if not will get one.

I definitely want a new scale. Mine is an older Polder model and it’s round. I was weighing using a piece of wax paper and the flour and sugar kept wantng to fall off. I think a square shape would work better. Also it kept turning itself off and when I’d turn it back on it switched back to ounces. As it was baking, I was really worried that I had forgotten to switch it back from ounces to grams!

Thanks for your encouragement, everyone!

Posted: 09 December 2010 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-11-29

and I forgot to say that after I took it off the cooling rack I put it on two different plates before I found something that was flat enough for it- hence my little cake slumped a bit in the middle and cracked just a bit on one side but didn’t look bad once it was on something flat.

I need to get one of those cake mover things and a cake carrier with a snap on lid! ASAP!!